Chapter Sixty-Two. The Return.

Chapter Sixty-two

The Return

Meg always tried to be home by 6.30 on a Saturday evening, just in time to enter the world of "Dixon of Dock Green." P.C.Dixon, the leading character in the T.V. series reminded her so much of her Dad - not only in his physical appearance, but also in the nature of his job. Like McGee, he spent most of his time on the beat dealing with petty larceny. He was a widower, bringing up a contentious daughter, and many of the fictional altercations between the two characters were so familiar to Meg. She had tried to get her father to watch the show, feeling that it might show him how to improve his relations with the villagers, but he had always refused. "Bloody load of rubbish", he said.

Meg nestled down in her favourite armchair. The News was almost over. Dixon was next. The doorbell rang. "Darn", she said. Who could it be? Derek was in Leeds. Fiona had said she would be coming over about eight to watch some T.V.

Donning her bedroom slippers, she shuffled down the dimly lit corridor to the door of her flat. It was mid-November and already dark. She turned on the outside light and peered through the glass pane. A female figure, huddled up in a winter coat, a scarf covering her mouth, stood stamping her feet on the top step. Meg didn't recognize her. She was short, with dark hair, and ludicrously was wearing sunglasses. Cautiously, Meg opened the door.

"Hi Meg. Can I come in? It's bloody cold out here."

"Who are...?"

The young woman, in response to the querying look, lowered her scarf, and then removed the glasses. The suntanned face looked familiar to Meg, but it couldn't be...

"It's me, Meg. Mo."

Meg gasped in disbelief, her hand flew to her mouth and she slumped down on the set of stairs behind her.

"I'm not a ghost."

The momentary shock abated, and Meg started to giggle uncontrollably. "I, we thought that..."

"That I was dead or something. Afraid not. But I'm gonna freeze to death unless we go inside."

"What's with the dyed hair and glasses?"

"Haven't you heard? They can't find Copeland. He's done a flyer. Didn't your Dad tell you?"

"I'm afraid Dad's been kept a bit in the dark. I know he believes you were killed in that fire."

"What fire?"

"We heard that the place where you were staying went up in flames."

"Really! If it wasn't for you and your Dad I probably would have been there. That's why I'm here, to thank you."

"What exactly happened?"

"I was a virtual prisoner - no documents, no money, and no way home. The police arranged everything for me, getting me back to England."

"So whose body was found?"

"Body?"

"My Dad said a body was found in the burnt out villa. We thought it was you."

"I haven't heard anything about it. Maybe it was a story put out by the police to flush out the murderer."

"But why would they need to do that if they had you as a witness?"

"I didn't actually witness the murder."

"Really. I just assumed... tell me more."

"Normally I was told in advance when Copeland was coming to town. On those occasions I would entertain him at Pine Cottage. One Wednesday night he showed up unexpected. He went over to the cottage, and discovering no one at home, correctly assumed I would be at the Centaur. I was with Merson in the honeymoon suite."

"The Centaur has a honeymoon suite!"

"Yes. It's a room that Chirons can use, situated right above the portico on the second floor. Anyway Merson and I were right in the middle of it - both stark naked, when Copeland burst in to the room. I was doing my thing on top when he entered. Merson pushed me away. I fell off the bed, turned and saw Copeland brandishing a club of some kind. He shouted at me. I grabbed some of my clothes and fled. George High was outside. He took me down the backstairs and drove me back to the cottage and told me to wait there for him. It was almost dawn when he turned up."

"So that's when the murder was committed?"

"I guess so. When George came back he told me that I wouldn't be seeing Merson again. I thought at first he meant they had beaten him up as a warning. It's the sort of thing my father would do. But I suspected something had gone wrong when they insisted I leave the country until the matter blew over."

"What happened to the baby?"

"Baby! You didn't think.... Obviously you did. That was just a story made up by George to explain my leaving the house."

"Where did you go?"

"Portugal."

"Wow."

"Yes. The Chirons own several villas in the Algarve. George made all the arrangements. It was a gorgeous place, beautiful weather and there was this hunk of a Portuguese gardener."

Meg shook her head and laughed." So it wasn't so bad."

"I actually enjoyed it, despite being under threat."

"Threat?"

"I just wasn't allowed to contact home or else."

"Or else what."

"I never asked. They said it was only temporary and I would be allowed home soon, as long as I kept my mouth shut. Then they had to fish that body out of Coniston. That fouled up everything."

"Would you have kept your mouth shut?"

"Who wouldn't? Those Chirons know how to keep a lady in style."

"What changed your mind?"

"Poor old Scarsgill. I really liked him in an odd sort of way. I couldn't let him carry the can."