Chapter Eight. Andy Wacowic

Chapter Eight 

Andy Wacowic 

McGee, unperturbed by Jeppa's parting shot, let himself out of the shop, mounted his bike, and rode back up the main road towards home. Sam Nelson was outside the Lion sweeping up the front step, and he kindly gave McGee directions to the Batters. 

Across the road from the pub he entered the unsurfaced lane known as Rufus. His bone-jarring ride down the steep descent was interrupted when Mr. Platt came into view. He was dressed as usual in brown corduroys secured with bike clips, a beige pullover, white shirt and tie. McGee had never seen him without a tie. For once he was not riding but pushing his bike up the incline. 

Platt was a funny chap. Fletch had told him that he and his wife had lived on Swarthmoor for almost three years, but remained aloof, choosing not to participate in any of the various village activities. Most of the villagers considered him 'high faluting' and had taken to derisively calling him ' Lordy', but he had always been friendly to McGee, and often interrupted his beat for little chats. 

"Good evening constable. How are you this evening?" He spoke with a cultured accent, but McGee thought he detected a trace of Geordie. 

"Fine, Mr. Platt. Out for your constitutional?" 

"As usual, but I have tried to combine it with my civic duties today." 

"What do you mean?" 

"I've been out looking for Andy Wacowic." 

"You what?" 

"It was in the Mail. Said the police were interested in interviewing him, but he seems to have disappeared."  

D.I. Wolfe was obviously not one to let grass grow under his feet. 

"Any luck?"  

"I'm afraid not, but the hunt goes on." 

"It surely does. See you around Mr. Platt." 

"Bye, Mr. McGee." 

Near the bottom of the hill the lane swooped past two sandpits and emerged onto a metalled road. McGee took a sharp right, passed over a railway bridge and came to a stop before a traditional wooden gate leading in to the Batters.  

The sun had long since set, but McGee could still see quite clearly in the long northern twilight. He carefully lifted his bike over the gate and hid it in the bushes to keep it safe from larcenous passers-by. Feeding rabbits were startled by his approach and an early owl retreated before him. A well trodden path led through the tall timbers towards a clearing that had probably once been the illegal allotment. At the edge of the clearing was the  tin roofed shed that Jeppa had alluded to. It was empty apart from, a long cold fire pit, and a discarded, half consumed tin of beans. There was no sign of Andy Wacowic. 

                                                                                     ***** 

Andy, cleverly concealed in the bushes, spotted McGee as soon as he entered the Batters, and carefully watched as the constable made his way through the woods. When he was convinced that McGee was alone, the tall blonde rose to his full height and gave a hesitant hail. 

McGee approached. Andy, sober for once, spoke first.  

"Twasn't me McGee. I didn't do it." 

"Nobody said you did, Andy, but you haven't helped matters by running away and hiding like this. What got into you?" 

"I'm scared, really scared." 

"Of what?" 

"They'll be after me next." 

"Whose they, Andy?" 

"I dunno but they put the kibogers on Paul didn't they?" 

"What was the fight about Andy?" 

"Fight?" 

"Yes the fight. The fight with Paul at the Lion." 

"Oh that, the usual thing, money and drink. At least that was how it started. He was trying to collect a gambling debt and giving me a hard time. I told him that if he didn't lay off I would squeal on him and he went berserk." 

"Squeal? Is there something I should be told Andy?" 

"I suppose it doesn't matter now. Paul being dead an' all. But he wasn't who he claims. He wasn't Polish. Polish parents maybe, but I'm sure he was never there. I think he must have been a detective or something. Somebody sent him here to check on me and Jeppa." 

"Why would anybody want to do that?" 

"You tell me. But he certainly did quite a job didn't he? He just about runs Jeppa's business now, or at least he did, and he was always on my case. I couldn't sneeze without him knowing. He snooped on everybody and never said nowt about hisself to nobody." 

"So what do you think happened?" 

"Obvious ain't it? He found out something he shouldn't and they've done him in." 

"And you've no idea who they might be?" 

"No but I'm taking no chances. I'm holing up here till you fellas catch them. Tell Jeppa I'm okay." 

Andy Wacowic had not committed murder. McGee was pretty sure of that, but what about Karwolska? Who was he, and what had he been doing in Swarthmoor?