Chapter Thirty-five. Mo's Troubles.

Chapter Thirty-five

Trouble for Mo

.

During the subsequent Spring term, Meg noticed a marked deterioration in Maureen's work. She rarely passed the mini tests that were a feature of Biology classes, and she routinely handed in her assignments late. Absenteeism became a problem. In the second week of February she missed the first three days. On the Wednesday, Meg, who was quite concerned, approached Giselle as they left the Physics lab at the end of the school day.

"Is Mo sick?"

"Not really."

"Then why isn't she in school?"

"I'm not supposed to tell. Especially not you."

"Why, because of my Dad?"

Giselle nodded.

"I'm not going to tell him anything. You know that. Can I help in any way?"

"You promise to keep this to yourself?"

"You know me, Giselle. Come on, spill the beans."

"Well it was late last Friday night, or rather early Saturday morning, cos I had just got back from the Coro. I was having a late night snog in our front yard with some bloke I'd picked up at the dance, when I saw Mo limping up the street. She was in a terrible state. Her lip was cut, her left eye puffed up, almost closed, and the right side of her jaw blue and swollen. Her dress was ripped down the side. I thought she'd been raped."

"Had she?"

"No. It was her Dad."

"Her f.f.father?" stuttered Meg, unable to conceal her shock.

"Yeah. Apparently he followed her on Friday night, and saw her being picked up by some fella in a fancy car. I suppose he realised where all her extra money was coming from. Anyway, he went and got pissed, and waited for her coming home. He wouldn't let her in the house, beat her up in the back yard, and left her there."

"Did no one report this to the police?"

"Mo, for obvious reasons, didn't want to report it, and her family wants nothing to do with the police."

"And you?"

"No way."

"Should I report it then?"

"Meg, you promised."

"I know, but is it likely to happen again?'

"I don't know. It depends if her father finds her."

"Where is she?"

"She's living in a small house in Three Bridges, on the side road that runs by the beck up to Broadale."

"Who's she boarding with?"

"No-one. The place is owned by George High."

"Who's he?"

"Don't you remember? The Chirons."

Meg paused. The name George High initially meant nothing to her, but then it suddenly dawned, "Oh yes, the fella with the big ears."

"Anyway he's letting Mo live in the house rent free."

"I bet it's not really free," said Meg

"You're probably right, but that won't bother Little Mo, I assure you. Would you like to go and see her? I can arrange it."

"Sure. I'd love to see her - make sure she's alright."

"How about Sunday afternoon. I had planned to see her again then anyway."

"Fine with me. Should we invite Valerie? I'm sure she'd like to see Mo too."

"Nah, I don't think so. The fewer who know about this the better, and anyway I think the conversation might shock Valerie's socks off."