eight

My foot is nervously batting against flawlessly carved church floor. On the table in a small library in front of me, a coup of tea is releasing vapour. I think just about for a millionth time how late I might turn out to be because of this but that doesn't stop Alec from bringing us here and his sister Isabel from being polite in a gothic medieval-Britain kind of way.

On our way here, Jared told Alec everything, literally everything, which I didn't quite approve of but I wasn't the one talking and I did nothing to try to make him skip some parts since I was too tired to do either.

Did I mention the tea was "brewed from european mistletoe, good for curing everything from a small headache to cancer", as Isabel said serving it?

Jared suddenly makes a quick move with his hand, resulting in it finishing on my knee, stoping my leg from frantically moving up and down.

"Stop it" he says, his voice all serious, meaning only one thing: he is actually as nervous as I am. We are waiting for Alec and Isabel to return with extra equipment and something Alec calles a battle strategy. I'm not sure whether he understood that we're going to my brother's apartment.

I manage a laugh.

"You can't fool me, bro. I can feel the tension swirling in your chest so strongly you want to burst" I joke in such way that it is very obvious that's the only thing keeping me awake. And one more thing. The light pressure on my knee.

He didn't bother removing his hand after calming my leg. It's still there.

Chills go down my spine and leg at the same time.

I am saved by a majestic entrance of a tall blond British guy that I actually probably shouldn't known but I do.

So I stand from the chair leaving Jared's entire arm to hang dully. I widen my eyes in disbelief at the same time the guy does. This is grand since the person standing in front of me is the only one I know that shows less emotion than me and that is an absolute zero. He is followed by Alec who must've noticed this too because he is as surprized as the two of us. Jared is still clueless.

"Jace" I speak, startled.

"Fay... What the hell?" he says at the exact same time. The only question now is who will be the one to say "You two know each other" first, Jared or Alec.

Turns out Alec is faster in collecting his thoughts and impressions.

This would be a perfect time for a little explanation. This year I spent my winter break in New York with my brother (some quality sibling time in case we die soon. If we don't, we're totally back to the not seeing each other for a year faze). Me being me I didn't want to do any cheesy family crap in freaking NYC, instead, I wanted to party. Being an under age demigod witch, I tried various methods of getting into clubs -- petrifying guards for a couple of hours, teleporting directly into places, enchanting my face so it would appear older to guards and even creating fake ids -- and they all worked. At one party I met, well, Jace and long story short we ended up dating for like eight days before I went back to Hogwarts.

Yes, he knows I am under age and he knew it back then too, but so is he, even though he is older than me.

No, he doesn't know I am a witch. Nor does he know I am a demigod. Which either makes me a really good downworlder or whatever they call us or him a sloppy shadowhunter.

And no, I sure as hell didn't know before that he wasn't a muggle.

"But you're a mundane" he says.

"No I'm not. And you live in a church. What happened to your Upper West Side apartment?" I demand to know. This whole thing gets me wide awake.

"What happened to your 'I'll keep in touch'?" Ouch. I never meant that one. Jace is extremely good-looking but I never liked him that much. It was more like I was bored and probably not very sober and he was there and he was hot.

I agree that I'm too young for this but as I said, we all might die soon.

"Wait. That's the terrified little girl you were with? 'Cause man did she learn how to fight in that case" Alec declared. I want to protest but Jace cuts me off before I get to take a breath.

"No, that's the one who ditched me because she had to go to a boarding school in Switzerland. I was with terrified little girl two years ago in summer" he says.

"Actually, it is in Scotland" I corrected.

"You told me it was in Switzerland, I'm not stupid". I stop to think of it for a second, recalling our conversations.

"Oh. Yeah, I did. I did say it was in Switzerland".

Jared was listening the whole time, turning his head between me at one end of the room and Jace and Alec at the other, as if watching a tennis match. He didn't make comments, he just had a puzzled expression until some things cleared up, picking the info up from our conversation. I was too well aware of the hurt expression when he figured there was something somewhat important going on in my life that he didn't know about (Percy was literally the only person who knew about my rocking winter holiday). I am also hundred percent certain he'll ask me about it later, without any audience. When he finally speaks, it is to say:

"We don't have much time, almost none at all. I'd appreciate if you could continue this philosophy later. I'm sure the world would too".

Alec and I have expressions of persons who have just woken up, but we turn into our useful selves immediately. The only one who doesn't change his previous position -- and the only position he has this whole time -- is Jace.

"Okay. What's your plan, Walker?" Alec asks.