four

As soon as Jared and I reach the airport, I pull out my tablet. A little useful gadget designed for demigods. I am addicted to it. It reminds me of Camp, so whenever I miss it, I search information on mythology, heroes, architecture, literature etc. But at the moment, I want some wifi. I haven't talked to my sisters in weeks.

The reason they weren't at Hogwarts for quite some time is that my mom explicitly asked them to come back when things got complicated. She feels like they weren't safe there and that offended me. We got into a big fight. Things just exploded, things that were hanging in the air for a while now. This was just too much. I feel like she doesn't trust any of my skills, especially combat. It was one thing to question my life choices, my grades, behaviour, even my friends and sanity but combat is one thing I am absolutely sure of. That is the only part of me I can fully trust and be positive that it will be there for me forever. We were fighting constantly over it -- I would Iris-message her every once in a while. And for the time being, my sisters were home schooled.

Jared brought me some coffee. Bitter, just the way I like it. He is sitting next to me the whole time I franticly look up my sister on every possible social network I can remember, with no luck. I leave her a message on every one of them.

That's one of the things I like about Jared. He could just sit down, not talking to anybody, silently being there. No silence with him is awkward. And he is easy to talk to. He get along with everybody he wants to get along with. He is simple, modest and funny. He never breaks a joke at an inconvenient moment. He is good-looking too. Naturally, everybody I know is madly in love with him. He also mostly has male friends, given all the girls have this myth about him being unreachable. Jared is literally the most reachable person I know. I guess the crush does it's job. That's the case both at Hogwarts and in Camp. Hermione, Annabeth and Ginny are just exceptions to the rule. I, of course, am the biggest exception of all.

I like him too, obviously. I'm not friends with people I don't like. But that's no crush. I just love being around a person like Jared. I hang out with him a lot. I can't imagine him ever being so unreachable for me. Basically, he is the only person I spend my entire years with. Both school and breaks.

Otherwise, he is also a very talented wizard. He was the first one after Harry to get right the patronus spell. He pretty much did it the first time, which was impossible before him. He once broke into the Slytherin dungeons all by himself using simple first-year-level spells. As a Gryffindor chaser, he has never been hit by a Bludger due to his unbelievable flying skills. But as much as he seems like a miracle in the Wizard world, he is even better as a demigod. I don't know would that make him a god or not but I do know there were very few opponents that can beat him. Demigods usually have their preferred weapon, the one that they use the most, and for Jared that's a spear, only because he finds it the easiest to deal with. He could've as easily chosen a sword, a dagger, bow and arrows or a mace. He thinks about weapon as a part of his body as he should, only it actually looks that way when he uses it. The only person he has never beaten in training is my brother Percy.

Now that I actually think of it, I just might get all those girls. They don't even try to approach him, to see how easy he is to be around, just because Jared is basically one in a million. And I consider myself lucky to call him a friend and to have him by my side at all times.

"Jesus Christ" I yell after checking on my sister for the fifth time. She just isn't there, oddly. When at home, all she does is stare at the computer screen. Now is not the time not to be in front of one. She annoys me badly but there is really nothing I can do. I don't have a phone - monster alarm stuff - and demigod tablets were designed with no option for a sim card. I can only wait for her to see one of the messages I wrote.

Hearing me say this, Jared smiles.

"What's so funny" I ask him, not sure what he's thinking. That is another thing. He is always somewhat mysterious, just to make himself seem more interesting. As if he needs it. People drool over him already.

"It's funny, you know. How you still believe in Jesus even though we have obvious reasons not to. If anything, we should be pagans in a way. We're wizards, which was illegal according to church, and our fathers are gods" he says. He is right. I guess that this is just an old habit. I think that's how I keep my sanity. Jared know that tough. He is just pointing that out a lot.

"Just because we don't know any different, doesn't make things false", I say. He just smiles.

He looks at the screen that shows flight timetables. Our gate is already open.

"Time to go" he says.

I stand up, but stayed petrified for a few instants.

"What is it" Jared askes me.

"Nothing. It's just - I prefer travelling by sea to travelling over it" I replay.

He smiled. He really does it a lot.

"That's always with you children of Poseidon. Don't worry. It's gonna be okay. Zeus knows it's us, I promisse".

I take a deep breath.

"Are you sure?"

"Hundred percent sure".

I can live with that. If he is sure, so am I. I look at the time. 10.52 pm in London. The plane took off at 11.25. That would be 6.45 am when we get there, minus 5 hours - 1.45 am. Brilliant. I'd never gone to the United States at some decent time so nobody was ever waiting for me. Well, this time, even if the time of my arrival was okay, I couldn't blame anyone for not coming.

Only, I hope I can be in time for Charlie's funeral. Until now, I haven't realized what I was so anxious about before. It won't be the same, but I hope I could get some sort of goodbye.

I guess there were still fragments of panic on my face because Jared sticks out his hand and reaches for mine. He leads me to the gate.

We walked into the plane, hand in hand.