Chapter 12: Time to strike

Time was not on the rebels' side but they had all swiftly decided that they would need a solid plan of attack if they were going to put an end to the Empire's secret weapon before it could be used.  Because of this, they'd spent the last half hour since attaching back to the Ghost carefully analysing the holoprints they'd acquired for anything out of the ordinary.  However, for the most part the crew had found no suspicious looking rooms in the facility; there were no rooms without names or secret back-passages in fact the facility itself looked pretty average.  "We sure this is the place, I mean have we actually followed the co-ordinates properly?" Zeb asked, scratching his head.  "My ship can follow co-ordinates, and this has to be the place.  There's something we're not seeing here" Hera snapped back.  They stared at the hologram for a further five minutes before something finally clicked in Sabine's mind.  "Hey guys, according to this layout the barracks is located here and the munitions storage bay is located just above it on the next floor up here" she stated as people looked at her confusedly ushering her to continue.  "Well, don't you see?  Imperial regulation states that the munitions storage must be located at least five hundred metres away from the barracks for safety, that room's in the wrong place" she explained pointing at the munitions bay on the layout.  The crew thought for a second before slowly nodding their heads.  "How do you know Imperial regulations Sab?" Ezra asked.  "Remember I served the Empire blindly on Mandalore before defected, we had to learn the regulations as part of our training" she replied with a tone of sadness and annoyance in her voice.  "Alright, we have something to go on.  Now we just need to decide how we're going to go about this" Kanan said bringing the conversation back on topic.  Over the course of the next hour the team formed a complicated plan in their heads and prepared for the final assault.  And then it was time.

The Phantom swiftly detached from the Ghost and Hera flicked a switch above her head, activating a stealth drive that they'd bought from one smuggler or another.  In seconds the ship flickered and quickly became completely invisible to the naked eye.  Hera smiled slightly, ecstatic to be using new tech on her ship, but quickly turned serious when the Imperial facility came into view once more.  "Alright we all know the plan, I'm gonna stay here with Chopper just in case you need a quick exit.  You know the rest, let's get this done rebels" she stated, guiding the Phantom slowly towards the base.  She swerved away from the hangar and flew towards a blank wall nearby, activating the ship's mag-locks.  The Phantom turned on its back and attached to the wall as the on-board artificial gravity kicked in.  The crew pulled on their helmets/breathers as the bay doors opened out into space and Kanan took out his lightsaber.  He propelled himself upwards, activating his blade, and began to slice a hole into facility's wall.  Within a few seconds he was through and the team pulled themselves through the gap into the base.  Seconds later, the security system detected a wall breach and immediately sealed it off with a sheet of metal.  "We're in, okay Zeb and I will head to the munitions bay while Sabine and Ezra get to the reactor and set the detonators.  We meet back here.  Sabine, you're sure you have enough explosives?" Kanan asked as he furtively looked around the empty corridor.  "I brought more than enough" she replied.  "Then let's go" Kanan replied, ushering Zeb to follow him.  The pairs ran off in opposite directions.

Ezra and Sabine's POV:
Ezra and Sabine slowly walked down the gloomy grey corridor, with their hands tightly gripping their weapons.  "You remember the way to the reactor room?" Ezra asked.  Before they'd arrived, each of the crew had been told by Hera to memorise the route they'd have to take by looking at the holoprints to try to avoid any disasters.  "More or less, almost certain it's this way" she replied jokingly bringing a small grin to his face.  All Imperial facilities were decorated in a drab manner with grey floors, ceilings and walls and barely any lights but there was something eerily sinister about this one.  Ezra especially could sense something incredibly dark and incredibly powerful in the air but it was clouded and he couldn't put his finger on it.  Sabine nudged him as they approached a corner and they stacked up on the wall.  Sabine peered round the corner and spotted a small patrol of three stormtroopers.  She aimed her pistols at them lining their heads up with her iron sights but Ezra quickly tugged her and shook his head.  He closed his eyes focusing and quietly uttered the words "you will turn around and walk to the reactor".  Suddenly the trio of stormtroopers repeated what he'd said and began carrying out his instructions.  "If we follow them we'll get to the reactor for sure, let's move" he said before cautiously jogging after the patrol.  Sabine swiftly followed him, she couldn't shake the thought of how mature and grown up he'd become.  She loved him for it.

After another five minutes of loosely following the stormtrooper squad, Sabine and Ezra finally reached the facility's main reactor.  It consisted of several long and thin bridges positioned at different heights that led across the room to a central spire with lots of complicated looking machinery on it.  Beneath them laid an ominous black chasm which looked as if it had no end.  After Ezra had inconspicuously force pushed the delirious stormtroopers off the bridge into said chasm, the pair cautiously set about walking across the bridge.  The room itself was huge, neither the floor of the chasm or the roof way above them were visible.  Sabine put a foot too close to the edge and felt herself slipping but Ezra quickly grabbed her arm and pulled her gently into the middle.  "Phew, thanks.  You know they could really use railings on these things" she said.  "Yeah, imagine how many dramatic deaths have happened on these deadly bridges" Ezra replied with a smile.  They reached the central spire and found themselves on a small circular platform with a series of consoles sat atop it.  Several Imperial technicians sat at the consoles pushing buttons and pulling levers, completely engrossed in their monotonous tasks.  The pair nodded at one another and crouched on the other side of the consoles with their weapons ready.  They counted four technicians in total, they wouldn't be a challenge.  Completely in sync, Sabine and Ezra leapt out of their hiding places and shot at two technicians each.  It took less than a second for the reactor room to be completely cleared of Imperials.  "Brilliant, time for some miracles I think" Sabine remarked as she tossed Ezra several thermal detonators.  They quickly spread them across the consoles and nearby power pylons, hoping to cause a large explosion.  Sabine set the timer on the explosives to fifteen minutes hopefully giving them enough time to make their escape.  "Okay, that wasn't too hard. Let's head back to the rendezvous and meet with Kanan and Zeb" Ezra said as Sabine nodded in response.

Kanan and Zeb's POV:
"Right, we're about to pass the barracks, from there we'll find an elevator and head up to the 'munitions bay'" Kanan whispered as him and Zeb slowly moved down a corridor.  As they passed the door labelled 'barracks', Zeb looked at Kanan pleadingly wanting to go and smash some bucket heads but Kanan shook his head.  Zeb huffed in response and followed Kanan' lead as they walked towards elevator at the end of the corridor.  He opened the door with the push of a button and the two of them stepped into the empty elevator, heading upwards.  "Kanan, I don't like how little bucket heads there are in this place, it makes me feel uneasy.  This could be a trap" Zeb remarked as they walked into yet another empty corridor.  "It could be, but we have a job to do so let's just focus on that" Kanan replied as they approached a door with a keypad by the side of it.  Kanan typed in the code, which they'd also found on the officer's tablet, and the door hissed open.  The pair looked at one another fearfully before slowly walking into the room.  What they found inside was equally terrifying and unbelievable...