11. A Twist in Fate

On the way back to my room, Ryan couldn't keep his hands to himself. Every now and then we shared a few kisses and his arms were draped around my waist. A few people smiled and took pictures of us but we didn't mind.

"You know, you're very affectionate." I told him as we made it back to Olympic Village. He shrugged. "Sorry, I can't help it. I just want you to be mine, Mel." He looked at me with begging eyes while holding my hand.

"Yes." I said after a while of thinking. A smile crept upon his face. "Yes to what?" You could hear the grin in his voice.

"Yes, I'll go out with you." Seeing him get even more excited made me happy. He quickly hugged me and planted a kiss on my forehead.

"You're so beautiful. I'll pick you up at your room tonight at 7."

I stopped him before he could start walking. "I have a game tonight."

"Well I'll be there. What time?" He asked. We both started walking towards the elevator to go on the volleyball players' floor - 8. The swimmers' floor was one above ours, 9.

"It's supposed to start at 8. Be there or I'll dump you." I joked on the last part. Ryan looked a bit taken back but that famous smirk came back on his face. He started to chuckle as he pushed the up button on the elevator.

"You're funny, Mel."

"I know, I try to be." I said sassily while flipping my hair and walking in the elevator when it opened. All Ryan could do was laugh and follow me on the elevator.

The rest of the evening Kerri and I rested until the game. After five, I went and grabbed some food with my family.

As we waited for our food to come at the table, I was passing the time by texting Ryan.

ryan: I just think that it's stupid that the new iphone doesn't have ear jacks. it's weird to me.

me: but its better than getting your earphones tangled up into everything

"What's so important than spending time with your family?" My dad said, grabbing my attention.

"She's probably looking at game tactics." Mom stepped in. Charlie shook his head and chuckled. "Uh no, she's texting her boyfriend Lochte."

When he said that, I instantly blushed. Everyone turned to me and I looked down at the table.

"I seen you have been spending a lot of time with that boy. He better not have you distracted. You've worked too hard for this." My dad angrily said. I looked up and him and furrowed my eyebrows.

"He's not a distraction, dad."

"You say that now but when you lose tonight because he's in the crowd, what are you gonna do?"

"Peter!" My mom grabbed his shoulder and turned him towards her, "Stop it, you don't have to be like that!"

"Yeah dad, just like you said, I've worked hard for this. How is Ryan gonna distract me? I've been training for years." I shouted back to him. A few people turned their attention to us but quickly turned away when I glared at them.

The waitress came and awkwardly placed our food on the table. I told her a quick thank you and begun to eat my food without another word.

After we all ate, I paid for everyone's food and made my way to the arena. It was a quarter to seven and people were already lined up to get inside. I went around the back where they let the athletes in early to practice and warm up.

"Hey girl." Kerri said as she came up to me. She was already dressed in her bikini for the game. I smiled at her. "Anxious for the game, are we?" I said as I pointed to her outfit.

"I'm always ready for a good game, fireball." She winked at me. I placed my bag on the floor and grabbed my game bikini out.

"So, trouble in paradise?" She asked. I looked at her with a questioning look. "What do you mean?"

She frowned. "Well you're little fight with your dad has gotten around."

"What?" I sighed. People can't mind their own business. It was literally an hour ago and it spreaded like wildfire.

"Sorry sis, just squash it with the game tonight." We quickly hugged and I thanked her before going change into my outfit for the game.

Minutes before the game, I got a quick text from Ryan.

Good luck tonight. I'll be watching from the crowd. sitting by your parents and your dad keeps glaring at me. guess he found out that you're mine 😘

I smiled at the text before sending him a quick reply and putting my phone up in my bag. It was game time.

Kerria and I walked out into the sand and the crowd started to cheer. I smiled and waved to the crowd and stopped when I saw my family and Ryan. I sent them a kiss and turned back to Kerri where we high-fived each other.

We were playing against Mexico. Kerri and I served the ball at each other while the announcer announced the teams and the rules. We got in our positions and waited for the game to start.

Thirty minutes into the game, the score was 16-12, Mexico leading. The went to serve the ball to our side and Kerri and I got ready. I was at the front of the net, waiting for the ball to come on our side. Once it did, Kerri got it and passed it to me.

One wrong move was all it takes for something to come crashing down. Some kind of way, when I moved to hit the ball over the net, I twisted my ankle. I fell down, crying in pain while grabbing my ankle.

I heard Kerri run up to me and the crowd gasp. I continued to clutch my ankle in pain. I cursed as I closed my eyes.

"How bad is it?"

"Are you okay? Do you need some help getting up?"

"Move, move. I got her."

I heard different voices all around me. I felt the streaks of tears coming down my face. I've never had my ankle in so much pain before. I opened my eyes when I felt a few people pick me up and bring me to the side of the court.

---

Hey all! Sorry for the lack of updates, the wifi is out at my house ☹️