Chapter 16- The Hardest Goodbye

My Paid Boyfriend

Chapter 16- The Hardest Goodbye

We waited patiently for our luggage to circle around the conveyor belt. There weren’t many people in the airport to be honest. A Tuesday in the month of April isn’t really an airport busy time. I sighed crossing my arms over my chest as I shift my weight to my right foot. How long does it really take to throw some luggage on a belt?

“Do you think airport security would arrest me if I lay on the belt?” Jeremy asked with a chuckle.

I smirked, shaking my head, “Well considering there is a sign right there that say ‘Do not sit on the belt’ kind of hints that you should not sit on the belt.”

“It says sit, doesn’t saying anything about lying on the belt.” He stated, finding that loop hole. Yeah, he can totally be a lawyer.

“Go ahead, but I’m not springing you from airport jail.” I joked.

Jeremy took one step but the belt started to move. I heard many sighs as people got up to stand around the belt, waiting for their luggage. I waited for mine patiently along with everyone else. The one thing I hate the most is waiting for luggage, so tedious and an agonizing wait.

Once we got our bags we got into another taxi. The car ride was silent for the most part. Jeremy kept blabbing about random things nervously. He’d rub the palm of his hand down his jeans, or rub the back of his neck, or bite his bottom lip- which drove me insane. His eyes would dart to me, then out the window and then back to me quickly talking about something else.

“Are you going to that campus dorm party this week? Probably not, it’s not your type of thing, but I heard it going to be a good one. Ari Martin is hosting it. Then of course there are those frat parties this weekend. I heard Kappa is supposed to make a foam bash. Delta is hosting a variety of drinking games and loud music.  Alp-”

“You’re right. Parties aren’t really my thing.” I interrupted with a tight lipped grin. He took that as a shut up and turned to look out the window again. Jeremy drummed his fingers on his knee as if trying to think about something else.

“When’s the next time you’re going to visit your family?” He asks.

I exhale through my nose slowly and look at him, “I don’t know. Spring break or maybe when College gets out. I don’t know I just left I haven’t really thought about it.”

“You seem quiet.” He blurts out after a whole silent minute.

“You’re very chatty.” I tell him back. Maybe he’s on drugs. It’s like he has ADHD or something with all this movement and fidgetiness. His eyes dart to me and then narrow slightly as if he could read my mind and what I said offended him.

Jeremy sat back in his seat, arms crossed over his chest while looking out the windshield. It took another thirty minutes from the airport to the College. There was barely anyone on the road, puddles of rain scattered from the streets to the side walk, lots of leaves and broken branches created a mess on the roads, the sky was a dark grey with only a little wind.

Once we started to see signs of our College coming up ahead I sighed, I really just wanted to be back in my dorm and under my covers until my next class. What person doesn’t just want to act lazy and curl up with a blanket on a dreary day like this? Well surely I do; more than anything actually.

Jeremy began to direct the taxi man were to drop us off. I gathered my things grabbing my phone that found its way under my butt. During the process I managed to hit Jeremy twice. The yellow taxi cab stopped at the entrance closer to our dorm buildings, we got out of our taxi and Jeremy grabbed our bags. Just as the taxi man drives off I pull the handle up on the bag and wheel it up to the side walk. Jeremy grabs my upper arm delicately, turning me to him with a nervous look.