Chapter 9

"Sorry, but I don't do roller coasters."

I looked away from the metal ride and over at my date dumbfounded; Connor was a tall handsome, real life police officer – with a gun – and still her refused to get on line for the one ride I've been wanting to go on since arriving at the amusement park 45 minutes ago.

"What?" I asked, a little smirk tugging at my lips, "you scared it's going to ruin your hair?"

Connors face morphed into a scowl. "Rude, my hair can't get ruined."

"Whatever you big baby," I chuckled as I skipped away from him and towards the long line. "These tickets were expensive, I'm going to get my money's worth – and that includes the rollercoaster!"

This time it was Connors turn to look dumbfounded. "Kelly, I paid for your ticket!"

My face dropped a bit, knowing that what he was saying was true, and it was a little unfair of me to ditch him after he fished out the money to bring me here. Sighing I let my shoulders fall. "Fine, let's go back to the tea cups."

Connor watched my retreating back, obviously feeling the hit to his masculinity as I made my way towards the childish ride.

"You really know how to hit a man where it hurts, you know that?" He called, as he raced to catch up with me.

Looking back at the defeated man I laughed. "Yeah babe, I know."

Connor growled under his breath, his annoyance with me painfully obvious as he reached out and caught my arm. Pulling me towards him and then turning me roughly so that I was facing the roller coaster again.

"What's this?" I asked, slipping my arm through his. "Now you want to go on the big boy ride?"

Without bothering to answer me Connor dragged me towards the ride and got on line, his leg shaking nervously as we slowly inched our way closer to the front.

We ended up waiting in line for a while - which I successfully used to my advantage by Googling 'Death by Rollercoaster' statistics, scaring Connor even more when he found out how little research had actually been done on the topic. I slipped my hand into his and squeezed lightly in an attempt to comfort him, but still I couldn't help the little smile that spread across my face every time I looked over at his fear stricken features. Then, a few minutes later, after much hugging, convincing and bargaining, I sat down next to him on the ride and accompanies him on the best (non-sexual) ride of his life.

"So again?" I asked as the safety bars were released and allowed us room to sip out of the metal contraptions. "You know you had fun!"

Connor let out a shaky laugh, his knees shaking and his breath ragged, "maybe next time, Kelly. Let's not push our luck."

*

An hour later Connor and I had decided that it was time to eat, leaving the fun day at the park behind in search of a restaurant (or even supermarket) nearby. "Are you sure you're okay to eat?" I asked as I sat across from Connor at a Gas Station snack stand a few minutes later, all kinds of greasy delicious foods sitting between us on the red metal table.

My date glared up at me before popping a couple fries into his mouth, "yes Kelly, thankfully my stomach has settled."

I chuckled, grabbing his wrist between my fingers gently and rubbing my thumb up his arm. "I just want to make sure, you were feeling pretty sick back there."

Connor let a sarcastic smile tug at his lips before pulling my face closer to his with his free hand, "aren't I lucky to have such a caring girlfriend then."