Chapter 3

I felt Connor's hands slide up my back and grip my sides, the pressure from his fingers urging me to deepen the kiss. I leaned into him, feeling my pulse rise as I wrapped my arms around his neck – I was sure that he wanted it, that he was craving it as much as I was, but I soon came to realize his grip was an attempt to push me away; not pull me closer.

Embarrassed, I felt tears build up behind my eyes and my face get hot. "Oh my God." I blubbered, "I'm so sorry, Connor, I... I'm such an idiot..." I trailed off awkwardly, fidgeting in my seat as I attempted to put some distance between us.

Connor cleared his throat loudly, busily rubbing the back of his neck as he avoided my gaze. "Maybe we should just watch the movie..."

I watched as he lifted the remote and started fast-forwarding through the starting commercials. Clearly eager to have the movie begin so he could ignore me and my raging hormones.

"Actually, Connor, I think I'm just going to go." I mumbled, lifting myself up from the couch and gathering my things. "Cassie should be back soon anyways."

Connor looked up at me strangely, his face morphed into a frown. "I thought you said she had another couple of hours at work. You don't have to go."

I shook my head, pretending to stare down at my phone as I made my way towards his front door. "She'll probably be back early; I don't think her office actually has any rules. Just, don't worry about me."

Connor nodded awkwardly. "I guess, if you say so."

"I say so!" I announced confidently, letting a smile take over my features, "anyways, thanks for letting me crash!"

Connor smiled back half-heartedly before unlocking the front door. "Yeah, no problem Kelly."

I raced out his door and then down the hall as fast as I could, eager to get as far away from Connor's apartment as I possibly could. Cassie obviously wasn't home, and probably wouldn't be for a while – but I couldn't keep sitting there after I did what I did. I mean, how could I be so stupid? I sat down against the wall outside my apartment, leaning my head back as I replayed the last few minutes in my head.

How did I read that situation so wrong? I had basically just thrown myself at a boy who had no interest in being anything more than neighbors. All he was doing was being nice; just helping me out, and I basically attacked him in return.

Deciding to end my pity party I fished through my bag and pulled out my phone, searching through my contacts until I came to Josh's name. Quickly I typed up a message to him – hoping that he would be willing and able to serve as my saving grace for the night.

Busy?

-K

His reply was instant: Never too busy for you.

Want to get your mind off Caroline?

-K

You read my mind.

Perfect! Meet me at our bar in 10!

-K

Ten minutes later I arrived at Denny's, letting myself in to the busy hot spot and firmly placing myself at the bar. Immediately ordering a drink as I waited for Josh to show up.

"Hey," he mumbled, five minutes later when he finally strolled in. "Why you still dressed up?"

I let a warm smile wash over me as I reached over to give him a hug; "why are you not?"