Chapter 7

"You know I was really nervous about tonight."

I looked up at Connor, his food sitting nearly untouched – aside, of course, from a couple missing fries. We were in a small diner called Pie, out in the suburbs. Its name coming from its most popular order – pie, pecan to be exact. It had taken us almost an hour to get to this run down hole-in-the-wall, but Connor swore the drive was worth it, and I had no choice but to oblige.

However, upon arrival I was pleasantly surprised. The atmosphere was so homey and intimate, it truly felt right for a first date location. I had to give Connor props. Plus, it helped that the food was amazing.

"What?" I asked, assuming I had heard him wrong. "You were nervous?"

Connor chuckled, "I was. I didn't really know what to expect, you're just so different from most of the girls I usually date."

I looked down at my own plate, it was practically empty aside from a few straggling broccolis' – a food I had sworn off (unless it came in anything Chinese.) "Is that a good thing?"

"A great thing." Connor said, reaching across the table and grabbing my hand, his thumb running circles on my wrist. "Your pulse is really fast"

I nodded, feeling my face get hot at his observation. "You know; I was nervous too."

Connor shook his head, "You shouldn't have been Kelly, I didn't need this date to know I liked you."

"You like me?"

He gripped my wrist a little tighter, "I asked you out didn't I?"

I looked into Connors deep eyes, feeling myself get lost in them as I thought over the last few moments; the last few perfect moments.

"Anything else I can get you?" We wore torn out of our trance by the (young and beautiful) waitress popping up at the head of our table. Her blonde hair was pulled back in a pony-tail and her blue eyes were covered in dark makeup. She screamed sex.

Connor not-so-secretly, eyed her up and down, stopping his eyes along the way to appreciate the way her apron accentuated her waist and hips, before subtly pulling his hand from mine and smiling up at her, "no thanks, just the check."

I was a little hurt by Connor asking for the check so soon, on the way up he had raved about the pecan pie and I had gotten excited about trying it. Especially after learning they named the place after the dessert, it must be good then. But my date paid me no mind as he waited patiently for blond and beautiful to reappear.

"Thanks for bringing me here." I mumbled, desperate to recapture his attention and start up conversation. "It's really a nice place."

Connor nodded as he watched the waitress pop her gum, boredom evident on her face as she waited for the bill to print from the register. I'm sure she could feel him staring and I was honestly impressed at how cool she stayed under his gaze. Then finally, a painfully long moment later, she stuffed the paper into a little black folder and dropped the bill before us. "Tip not included."

Connor smiled up at her and fished out his wallet, handing over his credit card without even bothering to look at the number on the bottom of the bill. The waitress immediately taking the plastic from him and turning back to charge the card.

"You can pay next time Kelly." He announced, "it's only fair."

My eyes grew wide for just a second at Connors words, a little surprised that he would not only bring up a second date (while we were still on or first) but also decide who was going to pay. However, I quickly masked my surprise with a forced smile and nodded back. "Sure thing, that does sound fair."