Chapter 1

Looking back, it's hard to remember what happened. It's hard to remember the moment that signified the downfall – the moment that changed it all. Looking back, it's hard to remember; but at least I'm glad it happened.

I had been sitting on my roommates bed, her mountain of pillows surrounding me as I watched her stare down at her freshly painted nails.

"Does this nail polish make me look slutty?" she asked, examining the dark blue polish, "is that a weird question?"

I looked quizzically at my crazy best friend, her blond hair covering her face just slightly as she looked down at her left hand.

"Please tell me you're joking." I groaned, falling back into the mountain of pillows. "Nail polish can't be slutty."

Cassie shrugged as she lifted herself up from the floor, and made her way over to her messy closet. "Clearly you haven't gotten out enough Kelly. Nails can totally be slutty!"

I rolled my eyes at her ridiculous statement – I guess that's what pretty girls had to be insecure about; slutty nails.

I watched as Cassie rifled through her outfits, sifting around between her shorts, dresses and tank tops. Scowling and frowning at the different garments she held between her fingers.

"Ugh, I have nothing to wear!" The girl exclaimed, tugging a pair of shorts down from where they hung. "Brian's already seen me in all of these."

I chuckled as I folded my legs into a pretzel; "like he cares Cas. He would love you in a sack!"

My friend smiled as she ran a hand through her blonde waves, finally grabbing a maroon tank-top to go with the already chosen shorts. She dropped her bathrobe from her body and slipped into her outfit, tugging at the ends of the shorts as she examined herself in the full length mirror.

She looked amazing. That was the problem with Cassie - she always looked amazing.

"God, I'm running so late!" She groaned, tearing me out of my thoughts. "Will you do this for me?"

I looked up at the straightener she was handing me and lifted myself up from my pillow cocoon to sit down behind Cassie. I straightened her hair carefully as she did her makeup, and within half an hour she was done and looking great.

"Just in time." She said happily as she heard her phone start to ring. Smiling down at Brains picture that appeared.

Cassie quickly slipped on her sandals and clipped her hair back behind her ears. Then I watched my best friend race out of her room and make her way down to the man she loved.

*

Once Cassie had gone I lifted myself up from the floor of her bedroom and padded down the hall towards the kitchen. I heard my stomach grumble as I looked through the odds and ends we had stored in the old fridge. Mostly condiments, some bread (and spreads to go along) and an old jar of pickles.

Groaning I decided to ditch the sandwich idea and made my way over to my favorite drawer - the one that stored the take out menus. I called up my favorite Chinese place, placed my order and smiled as they promised to have my food to me in half an hour or less - or my food was free. God Bless America.

Twenty minutes later there was a knock at my door, feeling my stomach grumble again I lifted myself up from the couch and tore the front door open.

"Connor?" I asked, staring down at my downstairs neighbor. "You're a delivery boy now?"

Connor chuckled sarcastically before handing me the heavy bag of food I'd ordered. "They confused our addresses again smart-ass."