Chapter 3

Bailee's P.O.V.

I stop in my tracks when I see headlights pulling into the driveway through the window. Immediately I know that this is Jessie and Nic, finally back from their date. I peek out the window to see two dark shadows leaning towards each other, no doubt to kiss. I am about to run upstairs to vomit when my sister walks in.

"Hey." She says. I brush past her and rush up the steps. When I reach my room I realize I forgot the box of donuts in the kitchen. That was the reason I was downstairs, after all. I sigh and run back down the stairs. I grab the donuts and am about to make a run for it when I hear a voice.

"You'll be happy to know that my date tonight went pretty terrible." She bitterly states. I turn to leave, but yet again am stopped by her voice.

"It went absolutely awful! We had this preppy annoying waitress that just sucked the romantic atmosphere right out. Then Nic ate this potato and when he went in to kiss me I couldn't bear the smell of his breath. Not to mention our shake was spilt before either of us got to taste it." As she rambles I stand in shock, listening. Jessie never tells me about her dates, because I refuse to meet Nic.

"Um..." I don't know how to respond.

"I get it. You don't care. You never have and you never will." This time it's her who brushes past me. I stand in the kitchen confused. Is she mad at me? I go up to my room and call the one person who I know will answer the phone.

"Donnie?" I ask when the phone stops ringing.

"Bailee? Are you okay?" He asks me frantically.

"Yeah, I'm fine. Are you busy?"

"I'll be there in five." As I sit waiting for Donnie I nibble on my donut. I'm not surprised when Donnie walks into my room without knocking.

"Donuts!" I roll my eyes as he takes the donut box from me.

"I think Jessica is mad at me."

"Well that's a change, usually it's you who is mad at her" He scoffs, his mouth full of donut. I roll my eyes. Donnie is all I need for advice. He is everything I would get out of talking to my mom or a girl friend. He has four sisters so he is very experienced in this area. He sees me roll my eyes and sighs.

"Why is she mad at you?"

"She thinks I don't care."

"Well do you?"

"I mean, of course I care about her, but I don't care about her relationship. I hate Nic and I haven't even met him." Donnie is the one to roll his eyes this time. He thinks I am being ridiculously stubborn by not meeting Nic.

"That's why she's mad at you! You refuse to meet her boyfriend, you are always bitter towards her and never give her a reason as to why you are bitter." He takes another bite of donut.

"She should know why I'm bitter! She ditched me for a boy. What happened to sisters before misters?"

"Maybe you should talk to her about it. Then after I'll take you to the mall and buy you some junk that you don't need?" I smile slightly at Donnie. I get up off of the bed and make my way to Jessica's room. I stand in front of her door before I hesitantly knock on her door.

"Who is it?"

"Bail-"

"Go away Bailee!" she yells through the door. She is definitely mad at me. I reach for the handle and pull on it. It doesn't budge.

"Jessie, please let me in!" I yell desperately. Now that I'm here, I'm not leaving until I tell her how I feel.

"Why would I let you in when you won't even meet my boyfriend? I love him Bailee, and you don't even care."

"Jessie, you want to know why I don't care? Because ever since you met Nic, you've been ditching me! We haven't gone out to lunch together like we used to since you started dating Nic! We haven't gone on any shopping trips and you never come into my room before bed to watch a Nicholas Sparks movie because you are always out late with Nic!" There is silence on the other side of the door while I speak. Much to my surprise, the door slowly creaks open. Jessie looks like a wreck, her hair is up in a sloppy bun and she is wearing Hello Kitty pajama pants and one of her high school theater shirts. Mascara stains her cheeks.

"I had no idea you felt that way," she sniffs. I just nod in response.

"Do you wanna come in?" She steps out of the doorway to allow me to go in. We sit down on her bed and start talking about her date tonight. She tells me about Cheryl and how she basically spilt the milkshake, also how terrible Nic's breath smelt after eating that potato. I get up to go to my room really fast and she stands up with me.

"Where are you going?"

"I have to tell Donnie that he can leave."

"I should have known." She giggles. I roll my eyes and leave her room. I enter mine and see Donnie sprawled out on my bed and still eating donuts. He is playing some bubble pop game.

"Hey, how'd it go?" He sits up.

"It went good! We're talking about her date."

"I'm so proud of you!" I roll my eyes at him.

"You can leave." I let him know.

"What about our shopping spree?"

"We can go another day. Right now I need to bond with my sister." I go to my dresser and grab turtle pajama shorts and one of my softball shirts. I go into the bathroom and change. After I am dressed, I throw my hair up into a messy ponytail. By the time I leave the bathroom, Donnie is already gone. I swipe the Notebook off of my movie pile and make my way back to Jessie's room. She is on her bed snacking on popcorn. When she sees me she smiles and waves the popcorn over her head. I giggle and put the Notebook into her DVD player.

"I brought the Notebook." I plop on her bed next to her. As we watch the movie and eat popcorn we talk like we haven't in a while. She tells me about Nic's amazing mother and her love for exotic and expensive perfume. As I walk back to my room after the movie, tear stained cheeks(curtesy of Allie and Noah), I can't help but smile. I have my sister back.

*VCF*