Chapter 1

Bailee's P.O.V.

"Are you sure you don't want me to drive you home? It's pretty icy out." Donnie asks me as we walk through the halls after our last period is over.

"I'm sure. You have to get to your Gran's house to help with dinner. Besides I have to get home fast and help Jessie get ready for her date with Nic," I say Nic as if his name is vomit in my mouth, "Plus, everyone knows you're the world's slowest driver."

"Am not!"

"Are too!" I giggle shoving him playfully. As soon as we walk out the school doors we are immediately surrounded by snow. Students are running to their cars, most likely to turn the heat on full blast. Earlier today walking into school, it wasn't snowing at all. In fact, it wasn't even that cold. But now, a blizzard was hitting us. It's Michigan though, what can you expect?

"Okay, bye Donnie!" I call as I run as fast as I can to my car.

"Drive safe!" He calls. I wave goodbye as I get into my silver Nissan Versa. As soon as the door is shut I turn the heat on. I look out the passenger window and see Donnie making his way to his own car. He's a big guy with short blonde hair and green eyes. Most girls fall at his feet in adoration. Anyone who didn't know Donnie would think he is a heartbreaker just by looking at him. He looks like your regular high school football wide receiver, but he really is just a giant sweetheart. I'm lucky to have such an amazing best friend. Jessie, my older sister of one year(which she never lets me forget), is convinced that me and Donnie are going to fall in love, although I beg to differ.

I put my car in reverse and check behind me, then slowly I pull out of my parking space, and onto the road. I flip my wipers on and try my best to see. I hate the winter season and everything that goes along with it. I hate snow, the way it sticks to everything and stays around for months. I couldn't wait for summer even though it was not even close to that time of year. I begin to crave a hot cocoa and pull into Dunkin' Donuts. I run inside and quickly order. While I wait for my drink I hear the usual ding. In walks a mother and son.

"Mommy! I want extra marshmallows in my hot chocolate!" He tugs on his moms dress. I can't help but smile. As I watch the the mom and her kid, I can't help but think about my own mother who is currently gone on a business trip in Europe. She is a motivational speaker against eating disorders.We didn't have the best relationship. Whenever she was home, which wasn't often, she constantly badgers me. She would ask questions about my weight, diet and self esteem. She constantly tells me that I am looking way too thin and assumes that I have an eating disorder. Truthfully, I needed to watch my weight and stay healthy for softball, but she seems to believe there is some other thing that's going on with me, and she's determined to figure it out.

"Ma'am?" I spin around to see the worker holding out my steaming cup.

"Thank you." I murmur. I take the cup from him, quickly pay and make my way out. I shoot the mother and son a small smile as I leave. I run back to my car, careful to not spill my cocoa and start up my car.

I let out a sigh of relief when I reach my house. The roads were quite icy and rather dangerous. Maybe I should have let Donnie drive me home. I grab my keys, backpack, and hot chocolate before yet again running for shelter. When I reach the front door I throw it open and breathlessly rush into the house.

"Bailee! Where have you been?" Jessie yells when she sees me there. I don't know why she acts like she cares where I was. It's not like she was actually worried. Ever since she met her boyfriend it's been all about Nic. She basically flushed our relationship down the toilet, and traded it for a relationship with him.

"You need to help me get ready!" I roll my eyes as she drags me upstairs. I knew she wasn't worried, at least not about me. All she cares about is Nic, and her date with Nic. I always have to prep her for any kind of special event, because she basically is makeup and hair intolerant. When we get inside her bedroom she immediately sits down in front of her vanity.

"Bailee, please hurry up! I don't want to be late!" I roll my eyes and plug her curling wand into the wall.

"Nic is taking me to this really fancy restaurant and I can't wait. He said it's super formal and that the whole place is lit by candle light!" She gushes to me.

"Wow how exciting." You can call me bitter all you want, because it would be the truth. We had one of the best relationships sisters could have, but she gave it all up for Nic. When the wand is heated up I grab it and start curling her hair in tight cork screws. I finish up her hair, and quickly do her makeup lightly, as instructed by her. When I finish everything she hops up from her chair and runs to her closet. I am about to leave when she yells for me to stay, so I plop down on her queen sized bed. She comes out holding a different dress in each hand.

"Which one?" In one hand is a long classy red dress with subtle sparkles and no sleeves. In the other is a shorter black dress with sparkly gold accents.

"You said this is an extremely fancy place?" I ask, already knowing what she should pick.

"Yes. Haven't you been listening?" I roll my eyes at that one.

"The red one." With that I get up and make my way out the door. Just as I am shutting the door behind me Jessie says something. "What?"

"I said thank you."

*VCF*