Chapter 16- Walking Alone

I lay there for around half an hour after he left. Colt’s body was beginning to stink and Guy hadn’t awoken yet. I hauled myself up off the cold ground and looked at the mess. I knew that I couldn’t follow Jimmy after this. He knew that I wouldn’t want to after he lied to me like that. That’s why he left. I couldn’t start another life.

I came to the public toilet that I slept in the first night I met Jimmy and Ali. All the graffiti still lingered on the walls. I sorted myself out in the mirror; my eye makeup was smudged to hell with my tears. What was I going to do now, I couldn’t return to JingleTown, when Guy awoke the feud would continue. I think. Unless him and the remainder of his gang could be pushed out of town. But somehow I think that the ‘Hounds’ would just continue to run. So basically I had nowhere to go. I would go back to Jimmy’s but I don’t know who would be there. I’d sold my old apartment a month ago, and I’d lost all my friends around here. I wandered the empty streets, the feeling of death hung in the air. I folded my arms tight. What was I going to do? I only had around $20 in my purse. I walked to the nearest bus stop, and sat waiting for a bus to anywhere. I didn’t know where to go, where could I go? So I just walked and walked for as long as I could. I ended up trudging alongside the freeway to Sacramento. Alone. Cold. Afraid.

I sat on a bank of grass right next to the freeway. I watched as all the cars sped along, their headlights on full beam, the only light I could see on this horrible night. I needed someone to talk to. I took out my cell phone and called Taylor.

“Jett where the fuck are you?!” she picked up.

“On the side of the freeway to Sack,” I sighed.

“Why? Why aren’t you with us?” she panicked.

“Jimmy will be on his way. I can’t go on with him anymore...” I began to explain.

“He’s not dead?” she was really confused.

“No, he killed Colt, and Guy’s unconscious, I saw it all, from the ground,” I sniffed; I was coming down with a cold.

“What, how?”

“Jimmy will explain, basically, I doubt I’ll be coming back.”

“Wait, so we can go home right, if Colt’s dead?”

“If you can shove Guy and the rest of his people out, then I suppose so.”

“So, I might see you around sometime,” I sighed.

“Why aren’t you coming back, if Colt’s dead, we can sort out Guy!”

“It’s not that...”

“You’ve broken up with Jimmy?” she sounded shocked.

“Well, pretty much, I probably won’t be coming back, he left the scene. He lied to me Taylor! I can’t go back to him after tonight; it’s all too much to deal with...”

“Jett, everything’s ok if Colt’s dead. I’ll tell everyone to change direction, we’ll come home, and we’ll meet you there...” she sounded desperate for life to be the same again.

“It’s not that, he can’t lie to me like that. Guy had a blade to my neck, I fainted, and Jimmy left me after he killed Colt because he knew that I couldn’t go back to him.”

“Please Jett...”

“I can’t...”

“But...”

“I’ll see you around Tay, I’ll miss you,” I sighed.

“I’ll miss you too.”

I hung up. I sat on the safety rail with my arm out, seeing if I could hitch a lift to LA. Maybe I could get in touch with Liam, maybe he could take me in until I get back on my feet. I knew it was a stupid idea, because he wasn’t my favourite of people. But I needed to get far away for the time being and get a roof over my head. I didn’t want anything that he wanted to happen to happen but maybe he could just accept me as a friend.