Chapter 5: Bad Eyesight

Alexander Whitlock opened his eyes, his morning alarm trembling on the table. He rubbed his face on the pillow. He was back in his room. Shirtless and confused, he went straight to the bathroom. He washed his face but he couldn't shake off the dizzy feeling. "Ugh", he muttered, "what did I do last night?". His stomach ached and he threw up several times in the toilet before turning on the shower. Once he walked in, he placed himself under the water and closed his eyes. The warmth of it was able to calm him down. He felt exhausted. His entire body ached and he had no memory of the day before.  He laid back, his head now resting against the wall. Alexander then opened his eyes, and the transparent water had turned into blood. The walls were now bloodstained and so was his entire body. "No!" he shouted. He tried to get away, but slipped and fell down. Hyperventilating, he grabbed the towel and covered his face. Eyes closed once again, he tried to calm down and convince himself that what he had seen was not real. "This isn't happening." He repeated over and over again. "I must have taken some drug last night." He lowered the towel, opened his eyes and saw how everything was back to normal. He shook his head in disappointment. "I sure did take something last night." Alexander inhaled deeply. His chest still ached, just like the rest of his body. He stood up and turned off the shower. Then, he looked in the mirror. What he saw left him petrified. The blue of his eyes had turned blood red.

"What on earth?" he muttered after a few seconds of complete silence. "This isn't me." He closed his eyes tightly and shook his head violently. He opened his eyes again, expecting to see his usual blue eyes. But all he saw were the blood red eyes. The eyes that replaced his original Whitlock blue eyes. "No!" he said desperately. "NO!" with all his force and fear, he led his fist to the mirror, breaking it and leaving blood dripping from his fist. "No." he now whispered, looking at his bloody hand. Alexander slowly sat down, tears falling down his cheeks. "What's happening to me?"

A dark mist started forming around him, causing his heart to beat faster. "Are you scared?" a female's voice whispered in his ear. He gasped, looking around him but unable to see anyone or anything out of place. "You should be." The voice said, now sounding clearer to him. "Who's there?" Alexander said in a broken voice, but trying to build up courage. "Who's there? Dammit!" The female voice laughed softly. "Don't worry now, Alexander. I'm here to help you. But, you have to help me." Alexander shook his head; his hands were shaking. "I gave you a gift." The female voice kept on talking, "You have very special eyes now. You'll do what I want you to do with them." Alexander frowned. "Why should I do that?" The dark mist intensified, and Alexander could've sworn to have seen faces through it. "I will give you something I know you really want. You'll see your brother again." Alexander's mouth opened, unsure of what to say. He started crying again, his bloody hand going numb. "Michael..." he said so low that even he couldn't hear it. "You can't do that!" He said louder as he tried to stand up, but fell down again. His body was weak; his visibility was reduced to none. Dark mist covered the entire bathroom.  "You can't do that." He repeated, but with a voice of doubt. "Yes, I can do it just like I gave you those powerful eyes, my dear." Alexander shook his head. Doubt and fear took over him. "All you have to do is to follow my directions. Use those powerful eyes for me." Suddenly, Alexander Whitlock felt his eyes were on fire. He screamed in pain, shivering and wishing for it to stop. He managed to stand up, his numb hand down, and looked in the mirror. His blood red eyes were glowing in a brighter red. His pupils became really small. Blinking was not possible.

"So, will you do it?" the female voice echoed in his head, causing an intense ache. "Don't you want to see your brother again?" Alexander felt trapped. "JUST MAKE THIS PAIN GO AWAY! I'LL DO IT. MAKE IT GO AWAY!" "Say this after me, Alexander. Thereby I, Alexander Whitlock, promise on my soul, with my blood, that I will be loyal to you, and you can consume me when I have served you enough." Alexander groaned, unable to speak with motivation. He only wanted the intense pain to go away. "Thereby I..." he said as he slowly went back to the floor, "Alexander Whitlock", he lay down, his breathing severely altered. "Promise on my soul, with my blood" he touched the blood from the hand that had hit the mirror, "that I will be loyal to you" and with each word the pain seemed to tone down, "and you can consume me..." he was now able to close his eyes, and he whispered the last words, "when I have served you enough." The mysterious female voice laughed, and laughed, until Alexander felt chills down his spine. Her laugh was malicious, yet so attractive. Alexander even thought it to be oddly beautiful.  The mist dispersed, the faces gone, and the female voice was not heard anymore. Alexander Whitlock opened his eyes, looked at his injured hand and saw it clean. He was now able to move it; everything in the bathroom seemed clean and in place. He felt the coldness of the bathroom's floor under his naked body. He stood up shivering, grabbed the towel and turned off the shower. The mirror was as if nothing had happened. He was incredibly confused, and doubted whether what had happened was a hallucination or not. He did not dare look in the mirror. Alexander dressed up, and went back to his room. While he was no longer able to go to school on time, he decided to make the walk anyways.