Chapter 2: New Land

It had started to get cloudy, which could only worsen the mood of the funeral. But beyond those clouds, higher than any human could see, dwelled an entirely different set of beings. Bright and dark colors set in the perfect combination to decor the whole scenery. The winged human-like beings dressed in their unique dresses, suits and uniforms. Some were deep in chatter, others played with sparkles, and a minority signed papers. Their structures were really high, and each floor had an outside entrance rather than stairways. The entrances didn't have knobs or handles, but were more of a slightly transparent, but solid color, opening which they could go through. These winged human-like beings weren't just there. They had a purpose. They were, in fact, what the humans called Guardian Angels. Each was set to protect a person or a family, all depending on their rank and loyalty.

A regular female guardian watched the Michael Whitlock funeral scene on a silver sphere. Her long silvery straight hair flowed with a gentle breeze. Her bright silver eyes presented sorrow. She was dressed in white and silver clothing. Silver eye shadow, heeled white boots, silver tailcoat, and white bottoms completed her monochrome appearance. On her neck rested a silver necklace consisting of a full moon and two crescents.  Set next to her was a silver staff with the same symbol. She sighed. "I saved him, but now he is going to suffer so much mentally and emotionally." A high ranked guardian turned around to her. His monochrome purple appearance was very fine and cared for. On his wrist rested his very own unique bracelet. His bright purple eyes showed a sense of strictness and a confident personality. "You did your job, Darcy. Alexander Whitlock's brother died, but Alexander himself is alive. That was all you had to do. You are not set to protect several individuals. Your purpose is to guide only one Whitlock man, and that is Alexander Whitlock. Michael Whitlock has passed on to a different life, whether his judgment is good or bad. Do not ever forget your purpose, Darcy. Alexander Whitlock will indeed suffer. That is all part of being a human. Your purpose as his guardian angel is to protect him and only him. If you do not fulfill that purpose, you will suffer the penalty."

Darcy cleared off the image in the sphere. "Yes, sir." The high rank guardian nodded at her, but was bothered by the look in Darcy's eyes. His posture relaxed a little. "You know, Darcy, you can really tell me what else you really think about this. In case you'd prefer a re-assignment before you could receive any penalty." Darcy shook her head. "No. I will now retreat."  

She extended her silver wings, a width of seven feet on each side, and flew away. Her wings were silent and fast, yet the air flowed ever so gently by them. Louis, the high rank guardian, saw her go in disappointment. "She is a very special one, indeed." He said as he slowly returned to his desk.

Pixie Dust, a young monochrome pink guardian, saw Darcy in flight and decided to follow her in. Her soft pink wings weren't as big, and they only extended five feet on width. Darcy looked back at her and slowed down her pace. "You aren't very quiet." Pixie looked at her in awe. "Darcy... your eyes look dim. They are always so bright." Darcy looked away. "What's wrong?" Darcy remained silent and quickened her pace again. Pixie continued to follow Darcy until they reached the edge of their land. "Where are you going? I'll follow you!" Darcy sighed. "Pixie, why don't you go with Raven? I'm pretty sure she'd like to play with you. " Pixie didn't seem excited about the idea. "Alright, you can come with me then. " Darcy jumped off the edge, followed by a giggling Pixie. They appeared in front of the Whitlock's house. Invisible to all humans, they walked into the empty house. "I have never been in a human's house before." Pixie said as she excitedly looked around. "Why aren't they here?" Darcy walked into Alexander's room. "They were at a funeral." She answered, "They are supposed to arrive anytime soon now." Pixie's excitement was wiped off. "Did your..." Darcy shook her head. "His brother was the one to die. I wasn't allowed to save them both." Pixie held her hand. "I'm sorry..." Darcy shook her off. "It's frustrating, you know? I could have saved all of those teenagers, but I am only allowed to protect the one I am assigned to. But now, mine will suffer. It was his brother! And I..." Pixie used her pink triple star necklace to calm Darcy down. "It's okay. I understand. But there is nothing a guardian like you or I can do. We are regular rank; we can only follow instructions given to us." Darcy shook her head once again, and with her calmest voice said, "One day, Pixie, I will become one of the highest rank guardians and change all of this." Pixie smiled softly. "I admire your personality, Darcy. I wish I were such a good guardian like you. But I'm just far too clumsy." Darcy did not smile back. Instead, she went towards Alexander's desk and looked at a notebook that was left open. She read, "Guilt. I feel so much guilt from what has happened. Maybe, had I not been there, had I convinced Michael of returning home earlier, he would still be alive. My brother. Mother is so devastated. She hasn't cooked or done any chores this week. We have exchanged very few words. I am now the only thing she has left. I hope she had only gained emotional strength ever since father died. I was such a child back then; I did not understand what had happened. But now, I am seventeen years old and, even if I wanted to claim I don't understand, I perfectly understand. Michael is gone, and there is nothing I can do about it. I felt despised by him, but he was my brother. I saw him as the father role I never got to really know. Without him I feel empty. The house is too quiet and dead. Just like him. Oh, mother...  I sure hope you are stronger than me. " The Whitlocks arrived at the house, and Darcy backed away. Her eyes were dimmer than before, so much sorrow in her expression. It wasn't a pleasant sight for Pixie. Alexander entered the room and locked the door behind him. He loosened his suit and punched the wall, kicked the bed and took down a stack of school books. Then, he sat down on the floor in fetal position and started sobbing; tears ran down his cheeks, water dripping from his blonde hair. "Michael..." he said with a broken voice. "I'm sorry."

Darcy stared down at him; she got down on her knees and passed her hand through Alexander's hair. For him, it was a gentle cold breeze, the same kind he had felt seconds before the accident. He opened his eyes wide at the déjà vu feeling. Darcy looked straight into his eyes, seeing the true pain he had inside. He had a sudden thought that it might have been his brother's spirit, but he shook it off and drowned back in his sadness. Darcy got up and said, "I will help you, dear boy. Pixie, let's leave now." Pixie nodded and walked off. Darcy passed by her and exited the house. Pixie's curiosity struck her and she went to see Alexander's mother. Rose was lying down on her bed. Her room was unorganized, clothes on the floor, smashed glass vases, broken makeup boxes, and a cracked mirror. It was clear to Pixie that she had lost a hold of her feelings. She frowned and went to touch the woman's forehead. Cold like the snow. Pixie sighed and went to meet Darcy outside.

"They are dealing terribly with it." Darcy remained silent and extended her wings to set a fly. "That's going to be a lot of work for you. There is the possibility that he becomes suicidal out of this."

Darcy flew upwards, returning to the guardian lands. She thought to herself, "I am Darcy Moon, daughter of the moon, guardian angel of Alexander Whitlock. I will guide him to a better life, I will protect him, and I will become of a higher rank and help so many more humans as possible for me. I will loyally devote to it." Behind her, Pixie Dust followed in quietly.