Chapter 4: Disconnected Souls

Alexander stood in the same spot until a few other students bumped into him, apologizing afterwards. He met up with Christopher and went to a class reunion. 

"It's graduating year, Chris. Why are you still looking into childish books?" Christopher looked at him and sighed, "They aren't childish books, Alex. You'll see." Alexander laughed. "Chris, you need to drop it. I don't want to see you holding an unicorn or fairy book ever again." Christopher shook his head. "You know too little about this world, Alex. There are so many things to be seen, so many new things to be discovered. But first, you must believe in them. It's like following your dreams... If you want to achieve something, you have to believe in it! Otherwise you'll never reach it." Alexander took a deep breath. "Look, man, I know this has a somewhat strange importance for you. But, please, try not to do it near me." Chris frowned. "It was you who walked up to me at the library, idiot." Christopher stood up and left the room. Alexander followed him out, grabbing him by the shoulders. "Calm down." Christopher turned around, pushing Alexander on the chest. "Calm down? You want me to calm down, Alexander? For five months you had me become your friend. At first I thought it was cool, I thought your intentions were good. But all you have done is make me your shadow, leaving me behind on every opportunity you can take.  You have just used me to feel big like Michael used to be. That's all you ever wanted from me. Isn't it, Alexander?" Alexander took a step back, shocked by Christopher's words. He was unsure of what to answer, or if things really were the way Christopher saw them to be. "Christopher... I did not mean it to be like that." Christopher approached him, "Really, Alex? Did you not really?" he turned around, placing his hands over his head. "Did you think I wasn't going to ever notice how you took all the credit in everything we did together? That I wasn't going to be bothered by your rude remarks and how you pushed me aside every time I did something that embarrassed you?  You only befriended me because you saw me inferior. You just wanted to feel power. You are just a jerk like your brother used to be."

Alexander wasn't able to speak. He knew it, Christopher's words were true. He was just following Michael's footsteps. The thought of his death struck him; the images of that cold night petrified him. 

Christopher waited for Alexander to answer, but nothing was said. He then walked away, and the girl appeared next to Alexander. "Rage? Are you alright?" she said gently while placing a hand on his shoulder. Her voice awoke him from his thoughts. "I... your name? What's your name?" The girl smiled and caressed his jaw with a finger. "You can call me Jess."  Alexander nodded, "Jess... as in Jessica?" She shook her head. "Just Jess." Alexander nodded again, "Either way it's a nice name. Jess."

Jess put a hand behind his neck, "Why don't we go somewhere else, Rage? This place seems boring to me." Alexander wanted to say no, but the dark bronze of Jess's eyes absorbed him. He could feel a whole new attractive world inside of them. "Uh, sure. This place isn't cool." Jess smiled once again, "This time you follow me, Rage."

"Darcy Moon!" Yaria exclaimed as Darcy flew at high speed through the high guardian's shelter entrance without an invitation. Louis interrupted her flight by placing his staff in front of her. It was black, covered in purple poisonous spiked vines. Darcy had to stop abruptly in order to avoid the vines. "What are you doing, Darcy?" Darcy took deep breaths, altered by the sudden stop. "It's..." Yaria stood next to Louis, confusion in her whole face. "Do calm down!" Darcy got on her knees, face down, until she normalized her breathing. "Raven. She won't respond. Her eyes are gone clear. It's like her body is empty."

Louis quickly sent a pair of high guardians to Raven's place to check the scenery. Yaria grabbed Darcy by the arms and helped her get back up. "Oh, dear, why don't you go check on your human? Things are getting rough in here. " Darcy closed her eyes and nodded. "I haven't seen what he's up to since yesterday." Yaria smiled, "Then go."

Darcy went to a lonely area, so calm and quiet. A gentle breeze blew through her long silver hair. A colorful pond laid beneath her feet. She enjoyed it for a while before taking out her moon sphere. On it, she saw a frightening image. Jess and Alexander Whitlock were in an old abandoned building, dark as it could be, and Jess had him against the wall. Her hand placed on his neck, but not tight enough to choke him yet. "Having fun now, Alexander?" she said as she pressed one of her knees on Alexander's thighs, hurting him. "How do you know my name?" he struggled out to say. "Oh, dear, I know everything about you. And now you will be mine." She closed her fist on his neck, and he tried to kick her. Jess giggled, enjoying every second of it. "You can't escape." She said mockingly and placed another hand on his cheeks, and he stopped struggling. Her touch was soft and sensual. Alexander slightly parted his lips, and Jess stared into his eyes. For a moment, her eyes didn't seem beautiful to him anymore. They were devilish, frightening, and bright red. She got so close to him that he could inhale the same air she exhaled. And then, caressing his cheek with a thumb, she kissed him. Darcy Moon stared at the images in utter shock. Alexander Whitlock had just been taking over by a demon. Darcy watched as Alexander screeched in pain, dark swirls surrounding them. His eyes went from blue to blood red. His soul now belonged to Jess.

Her moon sphere fell, breaking into hundredths of tiny pieces. Darcy felt pain inside, the disconnection of souls started making its effect. "No..." she whispered to herself. There was no other guardian around to see or hear her. "That couldn't have been what I saw." She felt how her wings weakened, unable to fly away, she fell to her knees, face on the ground. "I lost him... so easily." She struggled to breath, and soon enough Louis and Yaria stood in front of her. "It hurts." Darcy said while holding her necklace. "It really hurts." She looked up, Louis smiled viciously, and Yaria shook her head with an expression of despair. Both of their eyes were shining brightly. And then, Darcy Moon fell unconscious.

"Where's your brother to save you now, Alexander?" Jess said from the shadows. Alexander Whitlock crawled on the dirty floor of the abandoned building. Everything was too dark, darker than when they had gotten there. He was too scared to talk, too confused to think. All he could do was crawl with no direction. Shadows moved near him, invisible wicked smiles surrounded him. Alexander could sense madness, wickedness, and evilness. His heart beat went far too fast, and he felt dizzy. His head ached and he screamed in agony. In the shadows, Jess laughed maliciously. "You belong to me now." She said, appearing from blackness right in front of him. Jess started humming an enchanting song, one that made the shadows swirl faster. Alexander screamed louder. As pleasing as the song was to his ears, it hurt him deep inside his head. "STOP!" he shouted desperately. "STOP THIS!"

Jess stopped the humming, and the shadows dispersed. "Oh, what now? You don't like my voice?" Alexander sobbed, his face now buried in his arms. He had never been this scared in his whole life, not even when his brother died. "Who are you?" he asked, closing his eyes in pain. "I am someone who's advice you must take, Alexander.  And my first advice would be, don't look people in the eyes." Suddenly, everything went blank. Alexander couldn't open his eyes, and he found himself in the scene of the accident. Face down in the snow, he got up and saw his own body laying down unconscious. He looked around; Alana screamed and cried, blood on her hands. Beside her was the wrecked car and Michael Whitlock's body underneath it. "What is this...?" he thought. "Why am I seeing this again?" He looked back at his unconscious body. "You weak thing." He muttered to himself, "You should have died too."