ELEVEN

"Everything's going to be fine, you're going to great. This is all going to be over soon, I promise." Carole assured her daughter, pulling her in for a long hug.

Today was the day of their custody battle and Carrie was a wreck. She was nervous and scared to death, as well as completely heartbroken. This was unimaginably hard to face.

"Thanks mom, I love you." Carrie smiled through the pain.

"Maddy, come here." Carrie stepped away from her mom and held her hand out.

Maddy hopped out of her chair and came over to Carrie. 

"Mommy has a conference today but I'll be back later tonight. You and Mimi are going to have a fantastic day, okay? I love you so much." Carrie pressed her lips together and tried not to show her emotions. She gave Maddy a big hug, holding her as tight as she could. Her heart ached for Maddy, she had no idea what was happening.

"Mommy, you're hugging me too tight." Maddy muttered. Carrie loosened up a bit but kept her arms wrapped around her daughter.

"Mommy, you're hugging me too long." Maddy muttered again, wondering why her mom was acting so strange today.

Carrie squeezed her one last time and pulled away. "I love you so much."

She kissed Maddy's forehead and then stood up.

"Alright, I need to go. I'll be back." Carrie grabbed her purse and headed out the door.

Mike was leaning against the car waiting for her.

"Mornin." He smiled, handing her a Starbucks coffee and kissing her cheek.

"Morning." Carrie sighed, doing her best to smile back at him.

"Hey hey, I don't like that face." Mike gripped her arm to turn her around. He could see in her eyes that she was seconds away from a breakdown.

"Come here." He pulled her small body into his embrace. "It's going to be okay, I promise."

Carrie let out a large sigh, trying to keep herself from crying. "we should get going."

The ride was pretty silent minus the radio playing softly. Carrie tapped her thumb against the car door nervously.

"Well, let's get this over with." Carrie sighed, squeezing her eyes shut when they arrived in the court parking lot.

Mike took her hand as they walked through the parking lot and into the courthouse.

"Ivey and I will be right there behind you the whole day. You can do this, I know you can. Just keep your head up and don't let him see your weakness. Everything's going to be okay." Mike assured his anxious girlfriend. He gave her a tight hug and kisses the top of her head. "I love you."

"I love you too." Carrie forced a smile, kissing him softly. She turned around and went to her lawyer who was waiting on the far side of the lobby.

"Ready?" Lisa, Carrie's lawyer, smiled.

"I guess so." Carrie sighed, following her in.