TEN

"Headed your way, be there in ten." Carrie texted her boyfriend, grabbing her purse and walking out the door.

After four days, she finally started to feel better from the virus she'd had and the couple was going out to celebrate Mike's birthday.

When she pulled into his driveway, she checked her makeup in the mirror one last time. She had on white shorts and a light blue tank top. Her hair was curled and she had light pink lipstick on, Mike's favorite.

"Hey beautiful." Mike grinned, kissing her cheek as he hopped in the passenger seat of her car.

"Happy late birthday." Carrie smiled.

"Where are we headed?"

"Well that is for me to know and you to find out." Carrie winked at him as she pulled out of the driveway.

"Why am I not surprised." Mike rolled his eyes and laughed.

"You love me." Carrie gushed, grinning widely at him.

"Yeah yeah whatever." He laughed.

Carrie pulled into the parking lot of Waffle House and smiled. It used to be Carrie and Mike's go to restaurant in high school. They went after every hockey game, it was where they had their first date, and a week later their first kiss. It was their place.

"Oh my goodness." Mike half gasped, half laughed when he realized where they were.

"I thought we could take it back to where it all started." Carrie smiled, taking his hand as they walked up towards the door.

"Wow, I haven't been here in years." Mike sighed, looking around at the almost empty restaurant.

"I don't think I've been here since we broke up actually."

"It's so crazy, we've come full circle Carrie." Mike reached across the table and squeezed Carrie's hand.

Carrie smiled widely. "I want you to meet Maddy soon. Once we get through this custody battle, I want to start bringing you into her life."

"That sounds wonderful, I can't wait to meet her!" Mike smiled.

A few minutes later, a waitress approached their table ready to take their order.

"Same as always?" Carrie smiled at Mike, closing the menu.

"We'll split an order of waffles with chocolate chips on top. Side of fruit." Mike handed the waitress our menu's.

"Twenty years and nothing's changed." Mike smiled. "I'm so glad we came here, I definitely didn't expect this. It's the perfect little trip down memory lane."

"I thought it would be nice. We always go somewhere fancy and formal, sometimes simple is better."

"I completely agree. This is perfect." He grinned.

After talking and eating for an hour and a half, the waitress came back with the bill.

Mike automatically pulled his wallet out to give the girl his credit card.