SIX

"Mommy, why doesn't daddy want to play with me anymore?" Maddy asked from the backseat as they drove home. Carrie felt her heart break in half. How was she supposed to explain this to her?

"I don't know sweetie." Carrie sighed.

"Do I have to go back?" She asked quietly.

"No no, not until you want too. I won't make you do anything you don't want to do." Carrie said, swallowing hard. Even though she knew she would win the custody battle, the thought of fighting with Matt in court over their daughter terrified her.

"I don't like that girl, Emily. She's mean." Maddy told her mom as they pulled into their neighborhood.

"I know babe, I don't like her either." Carrie sighed.

"Why was he kissing her mommy?" He's only supposed to kiss you."

Tears filled Carrie's eyes at her daughter's comment. She had to bite her lip to keep herself from crying. The images of him in bed with her came flashing back into Carrie's mind. She may act like she hated him and didn't care anymore, but inside it still destroyed her. The thought of him kissing another woman made her stomach twist.

Carrie had done her best to explain their separation to Maddy as best as she could, but Maddy still hadn't fully comprehended it yet.

"Well your dad and I don't love each other the same anymore. He made some bad decisions and he decided he loved Emily." Carrie explained, trying not to let herself bust into tears. She pulled into their driveway and turned the car off.

"She said she might be my new mommy one day, I don't want her to be my new mommy I want you to stay my mommy." Maddy was almost in tears as Carrie helped her out of the car and into the house.

Carrie felt her throat hitch at the words new mommy. Were they really that serious? How could he marry that twenty year old?

Carrie took a deep breath, stopping herself from showing the emotions that ran through her head. She bent down to be eye level with Maddy and held both her hands.

"Baby I will always be your mommy no matter what. I'm not going anywhere, nobody will ever replace me I promise." Carrie hugged her daughter tight and squeezed her eyes shut. "I love you more than anything in this world Madison Grace, never ever forget that."

"I love you too mommy." Maddy squeezed her mom and kissed her cheek.

"Come on pumpkin, let's get you upstairs. It's way past your bedtime." Carrie swooped her up into her arms and carried her upstairs like a baby.

"Can I sleep with you?" Maddy yawned.

"Of course." Carrie grinned, entering her bedroom and throwing Maddy down on the bed.

Maddy climbed under the covers and Carrie slid in next to her.

"I miss the old daddy." Maddy muttered, cuddling up against Carrie. She looked as though she was about to cry again.

"Me too, Mads, me too." Carrie sighed, kissing Maddy's forehead. She pulled Maddy closer to her and ran her hands through her long blonde hair until she fell asleep.