Chapter 28

*THANKS! Over 1,340 reads now. Hoorah! Enjoy!*

CHAPTER 28

"Do you accept the warrior code, to uphold it and protect your Clan with your life?"

"I do."

"Then by the power of StarClan I give you your warrior name. From this day forward, you will be known as Wavethorn. May your insight guide you through the toughest of times." Dawnstar touched his nose to Wavethorn's, and the blue warrior licked his shoulder. The Clan cheered.

"Wavethorn! Sparrowbelly! Scorchpath! Mallowflight!"

Dawnstar cheered along with his Clanmates. It had been a quarter moon since Snowy and her friend Harvey had returned the kits to EarthClan. Harvey, to her dismay, had left the Clan without a trace. Snowy still missed him. Life was peaceful in the forest. As the noise died down, he resumed his speech, focusing on the collection of shadows down below in the morning light. "We now have four new warriors. I also am going to add to the celebration by apprenticing three very special kits. Rain, Butter, and Snowy, please come forward."

The three young littermates approached Dawnstar with nervous but excited eyes. He came down a few steps from the boulder he stood on to address his Clan, and stopped at Rain. "Rain, you and your family have lived with EarthClan for nearly two moons and are seven moons old. It is high time you've become apprentices." Sunny nodded out of the corner of his vision.

"Rain, do you wish to become an apprentice, and learn the ways of a warrior?"

Rain, who had had a deep interest in forest life from the start, nodded. His flecked pelt was dull, like the rest of the Clan, because of leaf-bare. "I do."

"Then from today until you recieve your warrior name, you will be known as Rainpaw. Your new mentor, Ringpool, will teach you well." Ringpool touched noses with her new apprentice, and they padded to the side of the crowd.

Next, Dawnstar addressed Butter. "You, too, are ready to become an apprentice, Butter. Do you agree to learn and respect the code?"

"I do!" The little golden tom practically bounced with enthusiasm.

"Then until you recieve a warrior name, you shall be known as Butterpaw. You will be looked over and taught by Bouncestorm. He is capable," he added, looking at the gray warrior, "of great things." Bouncestorm touched Butterpaw's nose, and they joined Ringpool and Rainpaw.

"And finally, we have Snowy." Dawnstar looked proudly at the white she-cat. "You rescued the kits with help from a previously total stranger. Well done," he commended. "Do you promise to learn the warrior code as best you can?"

"Yes!" Snowy meowed.

"Then until you earn your warrior name, you will be known as Snowypaw. Your mentor will be Whispershine. Learn all you can from her." Whispershine and Snowypaw touched noses and backed away.

"Sunny and Shade!" He called. The two nervously glanced at him, padding forward warily.

"You are becoming apprentices, too." They gave him confused looks.

"You will each recieve a mentor, or a partner. Since you are too old to be apprentices, you'll be taught by your partner until you can become a warrior."

Shade growled. "I am NOT becoming Shadepaw, buddy!"

Dawnstar laughed. "Of course. But you will be taught the warrior code. Shade, will you learn?"

Shade shook his head dissapprovingly, but then nodded. "Fine."

"Then from this day forward, you will be known as Shadefire. Your buddy will be Spottedclaw, a loyal warrior." Dawnstar nodded at Spottedclaw, who returned the gesture.