Chapter 9

CHAPTER 9

Dawnstar padded through the moonlit forest, leading the EarthClan warriors and apprentices following him. Cherryfoot, Specklegaze, Skypelt, Stormeyes, Squirrelcloud, Thrustpelt, Rosefang, Fawngaze, Lightwing, and Creamflight were among the group. All the elders, Finchpaw, Sunpaw, Brindlepaw and Bouncepaw also came. Dawnstar was so excited; it was his first gathering as a leader! He would get to stand above the rest of the forest, on the Great Tree, on one of the four branches of the regal oak that were reserved for the leaders of each Clan; Mintstar of TreeClan, Sharpstar of BeachClan, Icestar of FieldClan, and now him. Dawnstar of EarthClan.

As he and EarthClan descended the rocky path down to Star Lake, the lake that housed the little island that was the Gatheringplace, Dawnstar scented that every Clan was already here. He leaped from stone to slippery stone on the water, getting closer and closer to the island. As soon as they got there, the EarthClan group dissolved into the surrounding cats, and Dawnstar slipped through the mingled pelts to the Great Tree. The tree was surrounded by rocks, and Skypelt climbed onto a boulder to meet the other deputies. It was his first day, too, Dawnstar remembered. It was with pride and strength that he climbed the enourmous tree and settled on the lowermost branch; this was the EarthClan leader's place.

The other leaders were already there on the tree. Sharpstar on the branch above him leaned down to get a glance of Dawnstar. He looked puzzled and worried. "What happened to Coalstar?"

Dawnstar bowed his head. Sharpstar sighed. "Oh. I'm sorry for your Clan's loss. Welcome to the Great Tree, though!" His glance was filled with sympathy.

Suddenly, a creamy pelt flashed up the trunk beside him. It was like a squirrel had scurried up the tree. Dawnstar realized it was Mintstar of TreeClan, settling on the TreeClan branch. Her green-eyed gaze rested on him with concern. "Sorry about Coalstar," was all she said.

Mintstar glanced around the clearing and her eyes followed a light gray pelt up the tree. It was Icestar of FieldClan, struggling up the tree like she always did, he remembered. She was a FieldClan cat; they didn't have many trees there, so it wasn't possible or natural for them to climb. When she go to her branch, she licked herself restlessly. She glared at the other leaders. "Who's idea was it to put FieldClan at the TOP of the tree?! We can't even climb!"

When Icestar saw Dawnstar, her eyes widened. "Oh..." She looked away and thought for a moment. "Good luck on the new leadership." She tried to look happy for him. Icestar looked like the oldest on the tree, as well.

Dawnstar nodded.

Troutstar noticed the tension in the air. He turned to the clearing of cats and yowled, "The moon is full; let this Gathering begin!" A hush fell over the clearing.

Mintstar began speaking of her Clan. "Our prey is running well. Cloudfur, a warrior of TreeClan, was injured chasing a fox out of our territory recently, but thanks to Sweettail is recovering. Also, we have a new warrior! Heathermist!" Congradulatory yowls came from below. She thanked her medicine cat with a nod. "Willowfang's litter of Rainkit, Fernkit, and Ravenkit have been made apprentices. Frostfeather had a litter of beautiful kits; Cougarkit, Snowkit, and Shrewkit." Mintstar turned to Dawnstar. "And may TreeClan be the first," she added, "to congratulate EarthClan on their new leader, Dawnstar." Her acknowledgement to Dawnstar made him sit straighter, and it was accompanied with loud yowls of his name from the cats below the tree. Mintstar looked with her striking green eyes at Icestar to speak next.

Icestar nodded. "Greetings to all Clans! I have something important to say!" She cleared her throat and stood on her branch seriously. "Twolegs have been moving in on our territory, and they have almost found our camp. They will surely tear it to shreds, and they have scared our prey away. We must ask the other Clans let us hunt on their territory. Our kits, our queens, and our warriors are suffering from their growling bellies." She gazed around the clearing, her gaze scanning the angry cats.

Dawnstar's eyes widened. Twolegs? Icestar must be so worried about her Clan. He looked at her; the silver she-cat's ribs were visible through her dull pelt. Her warriors were, as well. Compared to EarthClan and TreeClan, FieldClan looked like mice in leaf bare. Mintstar and her dark brown deputy, Bearclaw, were hastily and angrily whispering to each other, as the clearing of restless cats murmured between each other. The FieldClan warriors sat rigidly, eyeing the Great Tree in anticipation.

Mintstar had stopped mewing to her deputy. "I have decided that FieldClan can hunt in our territory for half a moon. If we find you on our territory after that, then we will chase you off. TreeClan appreciates what FieldClan did for us when Treecutters invaded our territory."

Angry yowls sounded from below in the clearing. A dark TreeClan warrior growled in protest. "But Mintstar, how will we feed our own Clan?"

Dawnstar sighed. Mintstar bristled. "It is greenleaf! We are plump!" She went on about how comassion and sympathy were important to peace, but Dawnstar didn't listen. What would he say to Icestar? It was his first Gathering as a leader; he had to speak for his Clan. He climbed farther down the tree to Skypelt, his deputy.

"Skypelt, what should I do? I have to make peace with the other Clans." He was worried he'd be disliked in his new leadership.

The blue tom's eyes were filled with sympathy. "It's okay, Dawnstar. What do you think we should do?"

"I think we should give them access to our territory, just for a while. They're starving, and the warrior code says that we can't turn away cats in need."

"Well, then say that. It doesn't matter what the Clan thinks, just as long as we can feed ourselves and FieldClan doesn't intrude on our camp."

Dawnstar nodded. Skypelt was a good friend, wise beyond his moons. "Alright. I'll give them hunting grounds to the badger den, just for half a moon." Skypelt nodded and Dawnstar scrabbled up the tree to his branch.

Mintstar turned to him. She had been talking to Bearclaw her deputy as well. "Dawnstar, what do you think about this? Will you let them hunt on your territory?" Mintstar looked at him intently.

Dawnstar nodded confidently. "We have decided that FieldClan will be able to hunt in EarthClan territory for half a moon. If the problem persists, until the next Gathering, but no longer." He turned to Icestar. "You and your warriors can only hunt from your territory to the old abandoned badger den by our territory." He heard his warriors protests in the clearing. "But if I or my warriors catch you past that point, the deal is automatically done, and I shall chase the trespassers off of EarthClan territory myself!" He growled. Poppybreeze, one of his warriors, yowled in protest at him. He gave her a stop-that look. He would deal with her later.

Mintstar nodded. "Thank you, Dawnstar." She gave him a reassuring lick between the ears. Dawnstar was surprised; did leaders do that? Show such affection and appreciation when in battle they were enemies? He purred. Mintstar had relief in her bright green eyes at his action, and, reassured, Dawnstar gave her a look of gratitude. Mintstar returned it.

Sharpstar stepped forward. "We have a new warrior: Salmonrun, step forward." A white tom with a striking pink nose stood proudly as the cats said his name. Sharpstar began mewing again. "We will not allow FieldClan to hunt on our territory. There is a limited supply of fish. This Gathering is over." He scrambled down the tree, stalked through the cats to the stepping stones, being followed by BeachClan.

Dawnstar jumped down from the Great Tree. He met Skypelt at the base of the tree, and waited as Mintstar scurried down. She turned her creamy head to him. "Good job for your first Gathering."

Dawnstar nodded. "Thank you. It was fun, being on top of everything."

Mintstar purred. Bearclaw stalked up behind her, and so did Icestar and her deputy, Jaggedheart. Icestar bowed her head to Dawnstar. "You have proven yourself to me, Dawnstar. Thank you so much for allowing us to hunt on your territory. My Clan thanks you." Her whiskers quivered. "You were a good deputy, and now will be a great leader." She looked proud. Dawnstar felt a good connection with these leaders; they were compassionate and kind and strong. He felt like an apprentice looking up at his mentors.

Dawnstar bowed. "Thank you both for your encouragement. I hope I can live up to your expectations." He heard his Clan behind him, waiting to go back to camp. "We better go. Come on Skypelt." He waved his tail to his warriors and they took the stepping stones back across the lake.

Well that's chapter 9! Thanks for all the reads!

On to Chapter 10!