Chapter 6

CHAPTER 6

The green trees looked like flames with the light of the setting sun glistening on their leaves. Dawnstar and Cherryfoot snuck through the undergrowth through the shadows cast on the grass. Cherryfoot was especially hidden because of her dark cherry-colored pelt. The fiery red sky was tinged with purple, covered in scattered pink clouds.

Dawnstar pushed through yet another bush, bored and tired. The traveling herbs weren't working. "Cherryfoot, are you sure you used the right herbs?" His belly growled.

The medicine cat shrugged. "Well, I only had a few minutes to get ready," she meowed irritably. Her neck snapped down, as if she just realized what she'd said. She gave her chest a few embarassed licks. "I'm sorry.... I guess I didn't."

Dawnstar moaned. His belly growled. The exhausted tom flicked his tail and they pressed onward through the darkening woods.

It was a few minutes before Dawnstar realized they were in TreeClan territory. The elms and beech trees soared high above his now ducked head, and they clung to the clearly marked border. Suddenly, a small patrol of cats materialized among the trees.

As they got closer, Cherryfoot walked closer to Dawnstar. They trode together for a few fox-lengths until the TreeClan patrol was before them.

A brown tabby with black stripes stepped forward. His deep amber eyes were hostile. "What are you doing on TreeClan territory?" There was a badly hidden growl in his mew. "It's almost sundown!"

"Yeah! This is our land!" A spunky tan she-cat mewed rudely.

"We're sorry to have intruded on your territory," Dawnstar mewed.

Cherryfoot lifted her chin. "We're going to the Moonpit."

"Well, obviously! What else would a warrior and a medicine cat be doing in the forest?" His tone was sarcastic, but the warrior's eyes were fiilled with amusement and something else. "I'm Tigerstep, and this is Sandpaw," he meowed, nodding to his apprentice.

"Nice to meet you."

"Well, good luck." Tigerstep looked almost too polite to Dawnstar. "Getting your nine lives, eh?" Dawnstar was surprised to see a hint of jealousy in his amber eyes.

"Yes. Thanks, for the luck, Tigerstep," and with a nod to Sandpaw, " and good luck to you with this one!" Dawnstar purred.

Sandpaw glared at the EarthClan leader. "Hey!"

Tigerstep led his apprentice away from the border. The pairs cats went their separate ways until one was just a speck in green to the other.

--------

The forest was dark now, with just wisps of grayed clouds with reflecting red to give the impression of light. Dawnstar and Cherryfoot walked together until the squirrelly TreeClan scent faded behind them, and the soft grass underpaw became spongy black mud and earth. Dawnstar sighed with gratitude for the squishy ground soothing his aching pads. Cherryfoot gave a similar sound as the mud was replaced with harder-packed ground. She loved the connection to her ancestors who walked this very path for moons before her.

Eventually the two cats came to a small patch of brambles at the end of a clearing; the entrance to the Moonpit. Cherryfoot squeezed through, leaving bits of fur, and let Dawnstar come through next. The chamber behind it was remarkable.

Dawnstar hadn't realized he slipped through rock as well as brambles, but behind the prickly bushes was a large chamber. The rock ceiling arched high above their heads, opening a bit at the top so moonlight seeped through. It fell on a soft pit of earth in the center of the cave, a paw print-like pattern of puddles that shimmered in the starlight.  Dawnstar sighed in amazement.

Cherryfoot purred as she looked around the Moonpit, the surroundings familiar to her. "Great, isn't it? You've only been here once, but I come every moon. They say the puddles don't disappear unless something terrible will happen with the Clans." The red she-cat shivered, and shook her pelt as if dismissing the awful thought. "I hope that doesn't happen."

Dawnstar nodded. He walked to the puddles and sat on the edge of rock that surrounded the paw print water. His tawny head didn't cast a shadow on the pool. It was as if the glistening water held the stars themselves.

Cherryfoot sat beside him and nudged him. "Well, don't be shy. Go ahead." The medicine cat leaned down over the water, and extended a paw into it. She licked a droplet of water off her claw and laid down beside the pool. Her eyes closed, and she relaxed into a deep, sacred sleep.

Dawnstar mimicked the she-cat's motions. He reached his paw into the clear, starry water, licked the water from it, and settled in his place.

As soon as Dawnstar closed his eyes, his world was filled with starlight.

--------

 --------

This is my longest chapter so far.

Like so far? Tell me!

This book might be kinda long........ thanks for READING!

Also notable, my story intertwines with TREECLAN'S PROPHECY by sqwerlgirl38. Read it, see if it's good for you! :)