[ Chapter V ] Thank You For Being Born

Taekwoon started his morning with much excitement but it ended with people constantly trying to ruin it for him. First his father and then those kids - the kids who lie, just like their parents.

They're all liars, Taekwoon kept repeating inside.

He no longer had a place to go to and continued wandering around town aimlessly even though his legs were starting to feel worn out from all the walking. He wanted to find a new place to spend his tomorrows but he had nowhere to go. The only place he found a bit of comfort was the playground but now, even that place was gone. Without knowing where to go and just kept on walking, Taekwoon stumbled back in front of the bridge that he was so afraid of the day before. Having walked back and forth the bridge twice yesterday, he was no longer intimidated by it. In fact, he had so much going on in his mind that fear was the last thing he cared about. So what if he falls through? Taekwoon no longer cares.

Maybe it would be best to just fall through with these lost souls since I'm no better than one right now.

Just then, Hyuk nudged Taekwoon forward as if he could sense his master's negative thoughts and wanted Taekwoon to stop. A little nudge one at a time, avoiding all the cracks and creaks the bridge made, the two made it across once again. Seeing Hyuk's effort despite being so small, made Taekwoon feel more relaxed and stopped thinking about the morning. The little puppy that was sent to watch over Taekwoon became his very own comfort.

"Thanks."

* * * * * *

The forest that Taekwoon was so afraid of the day before was no longer scary and there was a reason for this.

Sure there are many souls that wandered around the forest and cries could be heard left and right but they never dared to approach Taekwoon. Rather than Taekwoon being afraid of them, they were more afraid of the scent that came off of Taekwoon. The blood that flows through Taekwoon's body, the heir to the throne.

Taekwoon felt their fear and why he was being avoided by them. They may be dead but they were no different from the adults that lived in town. Even they were trying to avoid Taekwoon. If anything were to happen to the only heir, Taekwoon's father would turn the Underworld upside down. As cold and uncaring his father may be, he would never allow anything to happen to Taekwoon because his son was the only one with the rights to take over. This was also the reason why he demanded so much out of Taekwoon.

It didn't take any effort to get through the forest like it did the day before. In fact, it seemed as if there was a path paved through for Taekwoon to get to where he needs to be.

"I came too early," Taekwoon sighed as he stood in front of the door. "What should we do?" he looked down at Hyuk.

Taekwoon arrived much earlier than he had planned. He was going to spend some time in the town as usual until the meeting time with Hakyeon but that obviously didn't work out like he had hoped. Taekwoon was bored, so bored to the point that he kept sitting down than standing up to walk around the large tree stump in circles and repeating the cycle to waste time.

This is boring, Taekwoon sighed.

Just then, Hyuk came up with an idea to help the two of them spend some time together. He ran down the slope and back with something in his mouth.

"What's this?" Taekwoon questioned.

Hyuk dropped a branch in front of Taekwoon as if he was asking Taekwoon to play with him. It took seconds for Taekwoon to realize that Hyuk was asking to play 'fetch'. He's never done something like this before. He and Hyuk usually just take naps in the park or walk around town but never played games together. It wasn't a bad idea and Taekwoon went with it. The two played with one another for hours without a single awareness about the place they were so happy playing at. They have completely forgotten that they were at the center of the Forest of Nightmares and rather, the eerie forest that so many were afraid of, appeared to be more peaceful than it could ever be.