Scotch Pancakes

Chapter 17

I could see the silver specks in his eyes, even in the dark. That's how close we were. Closer than we'd ever been. His breath, his warmth, his smell; all combined to form one heady perfume of apprehension and excitement.

Kaiden stood, watching me. He was still, although not as still as me, his eyes like a caress on my skin. Perhaps thirty seconds passed, until he shifted closer. I could no longer hold his gaze. A soft exhale brushed over my lips; a delicate handshake, and I sucked in a sharp breath. The ocean sounded far away, like a whisper down a tunnel, despite the fact it was mere metres from where we stood.

Closer, closer, until I felt his front brush mine, his head bowed beside my head. Chest to chest, chin to cheek, we were so close. Slowly, he rested his hands on my waist, then my back. Closer still, if that were possible. My heart pounded like a footstep shaking the earth.

Anticipation. Sweet, sweet anticipation.

Turning his head, I felt his nose against my temple, then my jaw. He waited for a second, and then his lips were resting on my chilled cheek, a contrasting, velvet warmth. His breath jumped inside my skin, soaking me in heat and mint and winter.The darkness was like a blanket around us; enveloping us, shielding us from anything and everything but ourselves. Somehow finding the courage to move, I lifted a hand and rested it on his neck, curling my fingers in his hair.

His breath shook.

My heart stilled.

Lifting his head again, our eyes met. Kaiden squinted, his chest rising and falling in sync with mine. I think he was alive in that moment, too. I think we both were.

He smiled at me, a really really small curl of his lips. Just a tiny curve of mystery, really, and then he leaned in.

Fireworks exploded around us.

No...quite literally, fireworks shot through the night, erupting onto the black backdrop of night and scattering our stars. Sound rushed back to me, filling my ears with the crackle of gunpowder and the cheers of a hundred humans. Our heads snapped up, watching the terrible, but grudingly impressive, display of colour unfold above us.

And then Kaiden laughed. He was still standing so close that I could feel the rumbling of his chuckle reverberate through me.

"That is the worst timing for a fireworks display ever in the history of worst timings," he said, his voice half pissed off, half humorous. Lifting a hand from my back, he tucked a strand of tangled hair behind my ear and sighed. "We better get back. I'm sure your friend...what's her name?"

I cleared my throat. "Nora?" My breath stirred his hair.

"Nora. I'm sure she'll be looking for you."

I nodded, realising that I was still holding his neck. Feeling weird, I dropped my hand and took a deep breath.

"Now's probably a good time to introduce the two of you," I said as he stepped back. I was surprised at how steady my voice was.

Kaiden's look was measured. "I'd love to. Meg?"

I'd started to turn, but stopped. Without a word, he leaned forward and kissed my cheek, lips lingering. My chest tightened and my mind stuttered.

"This isn't over."

********************

This isn't over.

It was approximately 13 hours after Kaiden had said those giant three words, and I still hadn't descerned what he was implying.

What the hell did that mean? And what was this exactly?