Impressions

Chapter 12

Mince pies and politics did not mix.

I discovered this as Ollie, Nora and I sat on my kitchen counters and scoffed the hot, crumbling pastries that we'd just baked, the other two in the middle of an intensely heated duel about the new education system. Onslaught after onslaught of opinions and assumptions were being thrown back and forth between bites of the delicious Christmas tradition, and it was actually ridiculously draining.

Ollie, who was a British slacker through and through, couldn't really care less about the new and 'improved' way of schooling, so long as it didn't affect him in any way (which it wouldn't.)

Nora, however, was the polar opposite. Loud, strong-minded and all for equality, she didn't like the fact that Michael Gove, Minister of Education, hadn't asked a single school child for an opinion on the matter. 

It was comical to watch them banter heatedly, I'll give them that, but I would've much rather had the kitchen in a calm and less...argumentative state whilst enjoying my snack. Beggers can't be choosers, I guess.

"That is the biggest load of bull I've ever heard come out of your big mouth, Oliver. Of course the future generation matters, you idiot. It'll be your kids. And it's the principle of not asking our opinions - we do have human rights you know! Equality is..."

"Nor, quit being a feministic drama queen," Ollie garbled through a mouthful, rolling his eyes. 

If looks could kill, Ollie would've been six feet under by now. Nora's gaze had narrowed until you couldn't even see her eyes, and I choked on a raisin in an attempt to contain my laugh. Queue death threat  right about...

"I will gladly gut your insides and string them on the Eiffel Tour if you say another sexist, immature, single-minded piece of shit. Seriously, I am not impressed." Looking away, she stuffed the last of her mince pie in her bright red mouth and glared at the floor. 

Nora was pissed. 

Wisely, Ollie seemed to realise that he'd struck a chord. Clearing his throat, he watched Nora closer, that gleam still in his eyes. 

"Nora, I didn't.." I winced when he started speaking, knowing all too well that it would make no amends.

"Shut up." She said, voice blunt and expression stoic. Hopping down, she grabbed another mince pie from beside the oven and made a face at me. She still looked pissed.

"Can we watch a film?" she asked, taking a huge bite. 

I glanced at Ollie, who looked at a loss of what to say, his mince pie dangling dejectedly from his hand. Bless him; this must've been a first. 

Looking back at the sass spiral that was Nora, I smiled. "Sure, let's go choose one." 

**********

The film was awkward. 

Nora practically glared at the screen for its duration and refused to even look at Ollie, whereas he, like all things Nora-Ollie related, was the opposite. Peeking at her from the corner of his eyes, I could see how much he regretted saying what he had.

It's not as if  the statement was even that bad at all, and he certainly meant no offence by it. But Nora had a tendency to blow things way out of proportion when she was irate, especially when concerning prejudice and all things female-related. 

And so I was the middle-man, or woman, plopped right in the centre of their silence, both metaphorically and physically. 

When the sky outside was well and truly dark, the two of them made their way back home.