An Apprehensive Monday

Chapter 11

Tommy clutched my hand as tightly as his small fingers could and I saw the nervousness etched into his angelic face. Walking stoically across the hospital car park, even I was having a hard time keeping it together, despite the fact that I needed to. I had to - for his sake, as well as mine. The hospital loomed up ahead: a majestic building of white walls and broken hearts. Concrete lined its edges and a few brightly colour plants graced their paths, as if to fuel people's sentiments of optimism.

They weren't succeeding.

It was Monday afternoon, the day of Tommy's ominous appointment and two days before I finished school for the Christmas Holidays. The sky was a milky white, opaque and secretive, hiding away the future. I pursed my lips in apprehension and lead Tommy through the doors.

Mum hadn't been able to make it, apologising profusely about having to be away until Saturday for the conference. I'd told her it was okay, and truly for me, it was. I was more than used to it.

I wasn't so sure about Tommy, though. He always needed as much support as possible at these check ups.

Registering with the secretary and then sitting down on the old, felt covered chairs, I tried to smile at him. "Hey bro, how're you holding up?" I asked, knowing fully well that no, he was not okay and no, he would not tell me that. Anything to dissipate the tense silence.

Tommy smiled without his teeth, a sure sign that he was stressed. "Yeh, I'm fine. I just hate the smell of here." He stuttered and my heart clenched, an ache filling my chest. His speech impediment always got worse when he was worried and like always, it broke my heart.

Taking a deep breath, I held the mask of a smile. "We'll be out soon," I told him, praying that I was telling the truth.

Time passed, as did the various people dwindling the hospital waiting room, until finally, we were called in by a young blonde secretary, who's smile was so wide you could fit a coat hanger in her mouth. I think we both attempted to return the smile, although it was nowhere near as heartfelt as hers. Entering the consulting room, I grabbed Tommy's hand and squeezed.

Sitting behind a statuesque desk and drinking a cup of steaming coffee, was our consultant.

Dr Barnes was a portly man, with thinning brown hair and an open face. Since the first time I'd seen him, approximately four years ago, I'd immediately liked him. There was something about his jolly demeanour, round eyes and undoubted expertise in medicine which made you feel at ease. Walking into the room, I felt my shoulders un-tense a fraction. 

"Ah, well hello there my friends, how are you this fine day?" He smiled after gulping some coffee and placed his hands on the desk. Closing the door, we sat down in the two chairs opposite him.

"We're good thank you. A little chilly, if anything. How have you been?" I asked, immediately switching into the role of an elder, responsible sister. Inside, I felt nothing like a responsible person. I was still so young, so inexperienced. I didn't know if that would ever change...maybe when I was eighty...with five cats...and eating scones for my living.

Who knows?

"I'm very well, Meg. No mum today?" His eyes showed sympathy. I didn't want any.

"No; she's away at a meeting in Manchester. She sends her apologies that she couldn't make it. She wanted to be here this time." My voice sounded oddly monotonous. 

"Ah...well, no matter. I'll send her an email with any updates. Now, young man, how are you feeling?" Dr Barnes turned to Tommy, who had been studiously drawing letters with his finger on the desk, and smiled that 1000 watt smile.