Epilogue

A few moons later, five hundred years in the future.

Dominique sat at the table in the Red Dragon, staring at the mug he had in one hand. They were back. Brandon had not let the group from the future know much. No, he had simply told them some things had happened involving Akira and Deception. For a time being, he had said, the future had been somewhat disrupted, yet he would not reveal anything else, claiming that the less the group knew, the better.

When Akira had appeared at the Academy wearing black clothes and both she and Redemption had traces of dried blood on them, Dominique had a suspicion that things had been a lot worse than Brandon let on. His suspicions were confirmed when he noted the way all the other students acted towards Akira. It was as though the suddenly had developed a fear of her, some even acted unsure and a few seemed to have developed a certain dislike and even a lack of trust.

Dominique frowned. No one had told him or the others what had happened, in fact, Brandon had seemed eager to get the group back to the future for good. He had let them say goodbye and Dominique had had a brief moment alone with Akira. When he had asked her to tell him what had happened, she simply shook her head.

“Maybe you’ll find out in your future,” she had told him sounding somewhat sad. “They may have recorded it in those many books they seem to have written about my adventures.”

Dominique had done just that. He had bought book after book about the Rider and Dragon of Legend, and yet he had not found anything other than the usual stories. It seemed that whatever had happened had somehow gotten buried with time.

With a dejected sigh he watched the youth some distance from who were dancing to loud pumping music in the area that had been cleared for them. Dominique scowled. He hated being left out, not knowing what had really happened back in the past, why one moment he and the others had been at the wedding and the next it seemed as though they had missed a huge chunk of time.

“You okay?” Liam asked as he sat down beside him with a mug of his own.

Dominique nodded. He shot Liam a glance, wondering how they were suddenly getting along so well. They used to not be able to see each other without a fight, yet now the two seemed to understand each other better than ever before.

“Does it not bother you?” Dominique asked.

“What?” Liam replied as he watched Lindsy who was dancing among the crowd.

“That they wouldn’t tell us what happened back there?” Dominique asked knowing Liam would know what he was referring too.

Liam turned to look at him. “It did at first but then I figure dragon scales,” he shrugged, “If we aren’t mean to know then we won’t. That’s just life.”

Dominique didn’t reply.

“Hello all,” Jeremiah greeted them cheerfully as he came to join them at the table with Isaac in tow. “You here to take a break before going back to the Academy tomorrow too?” He asked as he sat down.

“Pretty much,” Liam responded.

Dominique tuned out as the other three began to discuss what they would tell Tresus and Kirk about their trip to the past.

As his fingers rubbed an object in his pocket Dominique pulled it forth. He glanced down at the white dragon scale in his fingers. It had been a gift from Redemption when Akira had come to the future. The last link he had to the past, to Akira, the only way for him to travel to her time. As her face flashed before his eyes Dominique sighed.