chapter 3

Chapter 3 “Dreams vs Reality”

Akira froze. For a moment she stood, letting the scream echoing in her ears before she jumped into action.

Dropping the dagger beside the present for Gina she whirled and grabbed her sword from the chest before running from the room. Adrenaline pumped through her as she realized that something was wrong.

She flew down the corridor, cursing her dress under her breath for making it so much harder to run. Her destination was the one place she was sure the scream had come from, the place where all her friends were gathered, the mess hall.

Akira reached it within moments and flew through the open door. The music was no longer playing and students were standing all around, looking confused. A few were murmuring rapidly to their friends, gesturing in a direction where a crowd was gathering.

It was in that direction that Akira headed. The students parted, making way for her.

Upon reaching the small crowd Akira saw that Gina was holding the hand of a sobbing girl while Drake stood nearby, looking more than worried. Seth was standing to one side and Akira saw him exchange a glance with Brandon who was pushing his way through.

“They just…disappeared,” the sobbing girl got out.

“Shh,” Gina told her gently. She lifted her head and when her eyes met Akira’s she felt shock at the fear she saw in her friends.

“Now then, what’s the problem?” Brandon spoke as he reached the sobbing girl.

“I was…just talking to them and then they both…just vanished!” the girl seemed to become hysteric as she stared at Brandon with wide eyes. “One moment they were there and the next they were…were…gone!”

Akira’s gaze flew to Seth as she wondered who the girl was talking about.

“Who was gone?” Brandon asked somewhat gentler.

“Lin…Lindsy and L...Liam,” the girl sobbed.

“Not just them, didn’t you see that Dominique guy disappear while dancing?” someone in the crowd asked in a loud voice.

Confused murmuring began to break out.

Akira froze. Slowly she looked around. Lindsy, Liam and Dominique vanishing into thin air? Coming to think of it, she couldn’t see Anita, Jeremiah or Isaac either. The entire group from the future was missing.

“Now now students, calm down please!” Brandon called out. “Riders vanishing into thin air? Honestly, I think you have more sense than to believe that. Speaking of which, just how much wine have you all had to drink?”

There were a few sheepish chuckles all around yet Akira noticed that the students who had been among those that had been let into the secret about the time travel between the past and future, were shooting each other knowing looks.

“How about you all get back to celebrating and I’ll get this sorted out?” Brandon asked.

“That’s right, this is a party after all!” a student yelled. Akira recognized him as one of those who knew about the time travel. The others around him all agreed and held up their mugs, letting out a cheer.

This seemed to break the tension and as the music resumed the students all began to go back to what they had been doing, seeming to throw aside all doubts.

Akira saw Seth meet the eyes of the guy who had shouted the outburst. Both guys nodded at each other and Akira realized Seth was thanking him. For the group of students that had been sworn to secrecy knew that Brandon did not want the other students to know and so were purposely helping the others cast aside their doubts by acting normally.