Chapter 10

Chapter 10 “In the Dark of Night”

“Ouch!” Seth complained.

“Hold still,” Akira told him sternly.

The fire crackled and Will lay to one side of it, looking fast asleep. Cain sat near him, watching in fascination as Akira examined Seth’s back with the help of light coming from a flame that danced on the palm of her hand.

They had left the third Academy as soon as they had met up. All of them had agreed that heading back the first Academy was of top priority. Once there they would try to figure out what was going on. They had travelled the rest of what was left of the day and half of the night. Yet when Akira had noticed that Seth seemed in pain she had forced the group to stop.

They had landed and made a small clearing in the shelter of a small forest. Making a fire, Will and Cain were supposed to snatch some sleep while Akira persuaded Seth to let her have a look at his back to see just how bad his injuries were. She had helped him peel of his shirt and was now taking a good look at the damage done.

Akira stared at the bruises that covered Seth’s back. Bruises he had received from crashing into a rock while protecting Cain only a day before. Probing with one finger Akira shook her head. She needed her other hand to feel for anything broken.

Closing her fist to put out the flame she brought her other hand to Seth’s back and gently began to feel down it. When Seth winced Akira felt like wincing too. Taking a deep breath she began to feel Seth’s ribs, knowing that he had to be in pain while she did so.

She felt him tense and could just imagine him gritting his teeth and clenching his fists to stop himself from making a sound.

“Well,” Akira sat back. “I don’t feel anything broken. I guess you’re lucky.”

“Lucky huh?” Seth asked as he reached for his shirt. He winced as he proceeded to pull it on.

“You may have cracked a rib of two,” Akira mused. “A healer should be able to take care of that once we get back.”

Seth grunted in response.

“Is he really okay?” Cain asked, sounding more than worried.

“You’re talking about a guy here who has had worse injuries before,” Will spoke up, his eyes still closed. “He’s fine Cain, now get some sleep. We want to get going at the crack of dawn.”

For once Cain did not argue. He shot Seth a guilty look that showed he still felt more than responsible for the older boy’s wounds, before he lay down.

Akira turned her attention to Seth to see that he seemed to be debating on how to sleep.

“Here,” Akira patted her lap.

Seth didn’t argue. Wincing he lay down on his bruised back, seeming to decide that as painful as it was it was better to do so just in case he really had cracked a rib. Gently he lay his head into Akira’s lap.

Akira reached down and fondled his hair.

“You crashed into a rock huh?” She murmured.

“Yeah, I don’t recommend it,” Seth replied.

“Oh?” Akira feigned surprise.

“It tends to be painful,” Seth told her and Akira smiled.

“I’m just glad your okay,” she told him softly.

“Ditto,” Seth replied. “When I left you on that roof I…Akira I never–”

“Shh,” Akira told him softly. “I’m glad you went after Cain Seth. He’s alive thanks to you.”