Chapter Twenty Five

Unedited

Chapter Twenty Five - "I rather like having him around."

All usual pursuits are abandoned in the Gryffindor common room the night before the match. Even Hermione has put down her books.

"I can't work, I can't concentrate," she says nervously.

There's a great deal of noise. Fred and George Weasley are dealing with pressure by being louder and more exuberant than ever. Oliver us crouched over a model of a Quidditch pitch in the corner, prodding little figures across it with his wand and muttering to himself. Angelina and Katie are laughing at Fred and George's jokes. Harry and I are sitting with Ron and Hermione, removed from the centre of things, trying not to think about the next day.

"You're going to be fine," Hermione tell us, though she looks positively terrified.

"You've got Firebolt's!" says Ron.

"Yeah ..." I say, my stomach writhing.

It comes as a relief when Wood suddenly stands up and yells, "Team! Bed!"

*

I sleep badly, rolling back and forth trying to doze off.

At about one in the morning, I begin to feel very thirsty. As quietly as I can, I get out of my four-poster and go to pour myself some water from the silver jug beneath the window.

The grounds are still and quiet. No breath of wind disturbs the treetops in the Forbidden Forest; the Whomping Willow is motionless and innocent-looking. It looks as though conditions for the match will be perfect.

I set down my glass and am about to turn back to my bed when something catches my eye. An animal of some kind is prowling across the silvery lawn.

I peer out at the grounds again, after putting my glasses on, and spot it. It's skirting the edge of the Forest now ... it's a cat ... it's only Crookshanks.

Or is is only Crookshanks? I squint, pressing my nose flat against the glass. Crookshanks seems to have come to a halt. I'm sure I can see something else moving in the shadow of the trees, too.

And next moment, it has emerged: a gigantic, shaggy black dog, moving stealthily across the lawn, Crookshanks trotting at its side. I stare. What the hell is going on?

I stumble back, confused. I look quickly back out the window.

Crookshanks and the dog have vanished.

"Bitch, you must be going crazy," I shake my head, and fall back into bed.

*

The rest of the Gryffindor team and I enter the Great Hall next day to enormous applause. I can't help grinning broadly as I see that both the Ravenclaw and Hufflepuff tables are clapping us, too. The Slytherin table hisses loudly as we pass.

Wood spends the whole of breakfast urging his team to eat, while touching nothing himself. Then he hurries us off to the pitch before anyone else has finished, so we can get an idea of the conditions. As we leave the Great Hall, everyone applauds again.