Chapter Twenty Four

Unedited

Chapter Twenty Four - "YUS QUEEN!"

"He - he sent us this," says Elinor, as Hermione holds out the letter.

I take it. The parchment is damp, and enormous teardrops have smudged the ink so badly in places that it's very difficult to read.

Dear Hermione, Elinor, Maya and Emily,
    We lost. I'm allowed to bring him back to Hogwarts. Execution date to be fixed.
    Beaky has enjoyed London.
    I won't forget all the help you gave us.
    Hagrid

"They can't do this," says Harry. "They can't. Buckbeak isn't dangerous."

"Malfoy's dad's frightened the Committee into it," says Hermione, wiping her eyes. "You know what he's like. They're a bunch of doddery old fools, and they were scared. There'll be an appeal though, there always is. Only I can't see any hope ... nothing will have changed.

"Yeah, it will," says Ron fiercely. "You won't have to do all the work this time, I'll help."

"Oh, Ron!"

Hermione flings her arms around Ron's neck and breaks down completely. Ron, looking quite terrified, pats her very awkwardly on the top of the head. Finally, Hermione draws away.

"Ron, I'm really, really sorry about Scabbers ..." she sobs.

"Oh - well - he was old," says Ron, looking thoroughly relieved that she's let go of him. "And he was a bit useless. You never know, Mum and Dad might get me an owl now."

"They've made up, finally," Maya rolls her eyes

*

The safety measures imposed on the students since Black's second break-in makes it impossible for us to go and visit Hagrid in the evenings. Our only chance of taking to him is during Care of Magical Creatures lessons.

He seems numb with shock at the verdict.

"'S all my fault. Got all tongue-tied. They was all sittin' there in black robes an' I kep' droppin' me notes and forgettin' all them dates yeh looked up fer me, Hermione. An' then Lucius Malfoy stood up an' said his bit, and the Comittee jus' did exac'ly what he told 'em ..."

"There's still the appeal!" says Ron fiercely. "Don't give up yet, we're working on it!"

We're waking back up to the castle with the rest of the class. Ahead I can see Malfoy, who's walking with Crabbe and Goyle, and keep looking back, laughing.

"'S no good, Ron," says Hagrid sadly as we reach the castle steps. "That Committee's in Lucius Malfoy's pocket. I'm jus' gonna make sure the rest o' Beaky's time is the happiest he's ever had. I owe him that ..."

Hagrid turns round and hurried back towards his cabin, his face buried in his handkerchief.

"Look at him blubber!"

Malfoy, Crabbe and Goyle have been standing just inside the castle doors, listening.

"Have you ever seen anything quite as pathetic?" says Malfoy. "And he's supposed to be our teacher!"