Chapter 15

I glanced at the clock on the wall, and sighed. Time to move. I got up, and Ace rolled off my lap and laid face down on the ground. I looked at him with a confused look on my face for a moment and then shrugged. Mr. S was sitting in his office, looking at his computer screen, a concentrated look on his face.

“It’s time to round up the troops!” I said cheekily, peeking my head into his office. He grunted in response, and I took that as a sign to get everyone’s attention. I turned around and stood on the podium for a second. I whistled to get everyone’s attention and as soon as they were settled down, I began speaking.

“Hi everyone!” I grinned. “I’m glad that you all came to camp tonight! We are going to have a lot of fun, and get to know each other very well over the next school year. It’s great to see many new faces, as well as faces that I recognize! Section leaders, as soon as Mr. S. comes out to talk, would you please meet me outside.” I stepped off the podium as Mr. S walked into the band room and took my place. I smiled once again and grabbed a clipboard, piece of paper, and a pen, and handed it to the first person I came across that was sitting on the floor.

“Pass this on when you’ve signed in please.” I said swiftly and walked out the door once the student I gave the clipboard to acknowledged me with a nod.

The section leaders were already outside promptly waiting for me.

“Hi guys!” I said cheerily. “Hope your summers were good! Now…who’s ready to whip these new kids into marching shape?” I laughed as the section leaders cheered. “Alright! So! As section leader it’s your job to take your section and teach them how to march, teach them commands, and teach them how they will need to act during competitions! By the end of this week, we will hold a competition judged by Mr. S, to see who has the best section out of the band! Last year this award went to the trumpet section. Who’s going to take these bragging rights from the trumpets this year?! Or will the trumpets yet again reign supreme over the rest of the band?”

The leaders started murmuring on how their sections were going to win, and how the trumpets didn’t stand a chance. I laughed.

“Okay, so you are all going to just start out by doing simple commands, Call them to attention, teach them parade rest, horns up and down, and maybe a face of your choosing if you get that far. I’ll be walking around if you need my help.”

Everyone nodded in understanding and I told them to go back inside. Mr. S. had already gotten the sections together and the leaders joined their sections.

“Alright everybody! Time to head outside! Please follow your section leader out onto the field for further instruction. I grinned happily as I watched students file out of the classroom. I grabbed a woodblock and a woodblock. I went outside and b-lined to the first group I saw.

I watched as Audrey tried to manage her group of 6 newbie flute players. I smiled at her and asked how things were going. She looked at me shyly and flushed slightly. I smiled kindly back at her. She was small and shy. A junior with long wavy brown/blonde hair and piercing blue eyes, she was one of the sweetest girls you could know.

“Need any help?” I asked looking at her group of girls that looked confused and bored. They looked away when I glanced over at them and giggled. I smiled. “Have you taught them how to be called to attention yet?” She shook her head. I nodded. “Do you want me to help you or do you want me to come back in a few minutes?”

“Can you come back in a few?” She looked at me. I smiled and looked at her nodding. I looked at her group and told them to listen up. The all nodded silently as I moved onto the next group. I went to different groups and asked them all the same things. Some asked for help, which I happily gave and watched others. As it drew closer and closer to eight, and camp was about to come to an end I blew my whistle to call everyone in.

As everyone slowly made their way into the classroom and started chattering to each other softly. I saw as Mr. S. slowly made his way into the classroom, and he made eye contact with me, silently telling me to call the group to attention. I smiled and took a deep breath.

“Band! To Attention!” I yelled loudly. Everyone replied with “SIR” and assumed attention positions. I smiled. “Very good guys. When I call you to at ease, please silently take a seat where you are. At ease.”

Everyone sat down and waited for instructions.

“I think today went very well. We got a lot done as a band, and I think you all learned a lot! I can’t wait to see what the future holds for us! I think we will be able to do great things.” I smiled at the group, and almost everyone grinned back at me. “Anything to add Mr. S?” He shook his head. “Okay! Band, Dismissed!” I said loudly, and the room instantly became chaotic as practice came to a close