Chapter 1

We hoped the battle would be won by now. Months have passed since Cameliard marched its army to meet the invading Saxons. That was in June; it's now October with still no sign of victory. King Leodegraunce, my father, who had been confident that we would be victorious, is now restless. Something isn't right, I can feel it. With every passing day, the shadow of uncertainty grows over our Kingdom, leaving our city in a well of tension and anxiety.

My knowledge of warfare is limited, but just from my father's increasingly anxious state, I know that there is good reason to fear. Partly due to the fact he is now too old to fight alongside our army and this makes him feel helpless. If I had been born male, I would have all too gladly fought in his stead for our kingdom and our people. As a woman, despite the duty and desire to fight, the law dictates this is impossible. So I too am helpless, anxiously awaiting any news that may provide some hope.

Although I try to boost my father's morale with words of comfort and optimism, in the passing weeks I have struggled to speak them with conviction. News from the front is becoming scarce and plans have recently been put in place should the city be attacked, or worse, overrun. We have strong, thick perimeter walls but with more and more men having been sent to the battlefield, we would be relying on the sturdy, towering blocks of stone making up the walls to defend us.

All of these things have put me on edge. I fear for our people, our home, and what will become of both. I fear for the future of all of us. If we have a future at all. These fears I have locked within the confines of my mind, so as not to worry Father. I don't wish to add to his already heavy burdens.

Staring out of my window at the crimson sunrise, lost in these uneasy thoughts, I don't hear the knock at my chamber door. 

I flinch as my handmaiden Enid enters the room; "Good morning Guinevere." 

Enid had been my mother's handmaid before her death. I had been two years of age when she passed and since then, Enid has practically raised me (alongside Father) and has become my own handmaid, but in truth, she is much more than that. She is like a sister to me. Good-natured and unchanging, she has been the anchor in my life for many years, always by my side whenever I have needed her. 

"Good morning, Enid. What news?" 

"Your Father has requested your presence as soon as you are able," she says with urgency; "I fear bad news has come from the front... An emergency meeting of the court has been called." 

The cold sensation of fear creeps into my skin. 

"Of course; let us not keep him waiting." 

Enid is anxious too, her eyes distracted and her mouth in a tight line so I attempt a distraction in the form of small conversation; "So, how are you this morning?" 

"I would be all the better if the winter was not so quick to arrive! Now, let us find you a pretty thing to wear..." she grunts, bustling over to my wardrobe. 

Rolling my eyes, I point out of the nearest window, "Oh, it is not even Winter yet! See here? The leaves still cling on to their branches!" 

"Maybe so, but I can feel a definite chill in my bones. My feet will persist in being cold! Mark my words, winter will soon be upon us. Blue or green, Guin?" 

Glancing at the two gowns Enid is holding up, one in each hand; "Blue I think Enid, for that is what I fear this measure of this gathering of the court will be." 

Enid shoves the green one roughly back into the wardrobe, hurries back towards me, and proceeds to help me dress. I have protested so many times in the past that I can manage this myself, but apparently, it's not 'proper for a lady of royal blood to dress oneself'. Ridiculous. Any attempts I have made to go against her in this have resulted in me being rapped over the knuckles.