Chapter 14

It's the fourth day since our engagement had been announced to Cameliard's court. Ever since then, the atmosphere in the Keep has been palpable. Everyone I have encountered in the Keep stops me to wish me congratulations and blessings to us both in our impending marriage. As lovely as all these well-wishers were, they made a journey to anywhere twice as long than normal.

Arthur and I were paraded through the streets yesterday morning, displaying our unity to the people of Cameliard. Word had quickly gotten out to our citizens and the city outside was transformed with a wash coloured bunting and flags. They were even more ecstatic than when the Camelot procession arrived if that's possible! Many shouted words of congratulations and encouragement, some threw flowers and children waved as we passed. I am incredibly touched by the reaction of our people, who were all clearly happy and in support of this union. Seeing all this, I knew I had made the right choice, for this marriage would create security for them as well as the people of Camelot. This was now even more important, no thanks to the recent Saxon incursions.

The wedding was now the only topic of conversation around the Keep; where it would be held, what would I be wearing, the type of ceremony and whom would be guests. Father, Arthur and I had already begun to discuss some of these things but in no great detail. It was still a bit early for these sorts of decisions, in my opinion. Then, of course, there had been the preparations for the engagement feast tonight, which was a much more pressing matter. The two men had taken the lead in planning this, so I had not seen much of either of them over the last few days. This, in my view, was actually a good thing as I was better able to process my now inevitable future in my own mind. I was now becoming more accepting of the idea that I am to marry and I would be the Queen of Camelot. The thought no longer strikes me with quite as much fear as before, which can only be a step in the right direction.

Since speaking with Lancelot in the stables, I have only seen the knight once and as we passed one another in a corridor. Seeing him made my chest ache and it was the hardest thing to not stop and make conversation. I had to force myself to not to approach him, fist clenched so hard my nails had nearly pierced my palms. But we had to make good on what we spoke of that day and the less we saw of each other, the better. But for now, seeing or thinking of him hurt. But keeping our distance was the way it had to be. The way it needs to be.

This morning's task had been picking up my dress for this evening's feast from the seamstress. I had decided to wear the same crimson dress from Camelot's battle procession but requested some alterations. The gown was now a lot lighter, with much more gold embroidery and was more delicate in appearance. It now looked more appropriate for a celebration and no longer for a sombre event, while retaining the symbol of unity with Camelot. Now that I was to marry Arthur, this seemed more important than ever to display. The courtiers would immediately see my confidence and competence in the future that awaited me as a Queen.

Now the time had come to get ready for tonight's festivities and already Enid is running to and from my room with pails of hot water for my bath. As she does so, I'm pacing up and down the floor with nervous excitement. The last of the water is tipped into the bath, and I dutifully undress and step in. The water is deliciously hot, but not uncomfortably so. I sink down into the tub until the water is up to my chin. I close my eyes, take a long, deep breath and savour this wonderful feeling. The warmth of the water warms my muscles, easing any tension from them. My skin tingles too as it heats up in the water. How lovely this is!

The bliss doesn't last for long; Enid throws a bar of soap into the bath, splashing water everywhere and making me start. She laughs at me, then dodges a retaliating wave of water I try and throw her way. Taking the hint, however, I sit up to start scrubbing. As I start washing the lather from my skin, Enid begins to wash my hair. We speak a little of the progress made with the wedding plans, the frenzy over the news and speculate on what Camelot may actually be like. Neither of us has ventured there before but we have both heard many tales of its grandeur and its legacy for being impenetrable.