Chapter 17

The call for dinner comes an hour or so after sunset. I emerge from my tent to a roaring fire in the centre of our group of tents. There are men preparing meat which had just been taken off of the spit over the fire. It was going into a huge pot of broth or stew, which was being stirred by another man. As I walk around the fire to find a place to sit, I see many are already sitting in small groups, laughing and talking, drinking cups of ale and wine. The atmosphere was comparable to that of the feasts we have hosted in months gone past. Being in the outdoors, amongst the trees and in the open air, made it even more stimulating.  

Finding Father, I take a seat next to him, against a large fallen tree log. The look on his face is one of relaxed amusement, seemingly content just sitting and taking in the evening. Leaning my back against the wood I look around at our little section of the camp. The tents are arranged in a circular formation around the fire. Next to mine was Father's, then Arthur's, Merlin's, Lancelot's, Gawaine's and Percival's and there are three others, the owners of which I don't know. In the dark and under the trees, the fire casts a deep orange light against the natural canvas. The movement of the flames cast shadows that dance across them in an almost magical way. Images of the familiar and abstract seem to flicker and change shape, like a fantastical story or fairytale playing out before my eyes.  

I jolt back into reality as a wooden bowl hovers in my line of sight.

Looking up I see it's Merlin holding a bowl of broth and bread towards me; "Good evening, my Lady. I'm sorry for disturbing your thoughts, I have brought food for King Leodegraunce and for you."

This is completely unexpected; "Not at all, thank you, Merlin."

He hands father a bowl too, who is delighted at the prospect of food and tucks in immediately. Taking mine from him gratefully, Merlin then sits on the other side of me and we eat together in silence. I use this silence to work out what I'm going to do with this strange situation. After all, Merlin has already been a fairly negative presence in such a short time of me knowing him, it would be all too easy to act with hostility or ignore him completely. But that's not who I am; I like the air to be clear and to know that I have tried to make the best of a bad situation. After all, I am going to be in close proximity to him from now on, with him being King Arthur's, and soon to be my, adviser. We are going to need some sort of working partnership. The less tension between us there was, the smoother this relationship would be.  

Waiting until we have both finished, I set my bowl down and begin to strike up a conversation; "Merlin, are you well this evening?"

Merlin turns to me, with a small smile; "All the better for a good meal after a long day's ride, my Lady. How do you fare?"

"I am well, thank you. I too am grateful for the food too; it has been a long day."

He nods in response and looks back towards the fire.

That was a good start!

After sipping some more of my wine, I decide to try and see if he will continue to indulge me; "How long have you been in Camelot, Merlin?"

A smirk creeps across his lips; "Longer than I dare to admit, but I suppose it must be nearing forty years now, my Lady."

"A commendable service and one which I'm sure has been greatly appreciated by King Arthur, and Uther before him."

"Thank you, my Lady," the man replies.

He speaks almost in a kindly way, which surprises me after the encounters I've had with him. His replies, although short, do not seem overly impatient of my questioning.