Chapter 10

"Total Eclipse of the Heart"

2011 Copyright All Rights Reserved

Chapter 10

     The anticipation of the plane ride left Raven in a bundle of edgy nerves. Her nervousness was a side effect of several things.  For one, she had never in her life, been on a plane before. That within itself was enough to make her heart beat in overtime.  She had seen planes take off and land, but she had never been on one and that scared the crap out of her. 

     Then, if that wasn't enough, her nerves were frayed because she was meeting new people, Christopher's family, Will's family- it was all just a little too much for her.  Even though Christopher had told her story after story about how quirky and loving his family was, she was having second thoughts about this entire trip.  

     This was their family; not hers.  She really didn't have much of a family anymore, her biological family was gone.  The only people that had ever been close enough to consider family was Zach, Christopher and Layla.  

     She had physically lived with her Aunt Becca, but when it came right down to it, it seemed that her Aunt was always too busy with her work as a Museum Curator and simply didn't have the time to parent her.

     It was okay though; Raven understood.  She had survived in the past and she survived then; just like she is trying to survive now.  Both of her parents had been killed in a house fire when she was only six months old.  She had been in her crib and miraculously, a book case fell over the crib and protected her until the fireman came.  She was the only survivor that day and was shipped off to live with her Aunt who did't have the faintest idea what to do with a little girl.  

     Aunt Becca did the best that she could and Raven could not fault her for that.  She kept a roof over her head, clothes on her back and food in her belly.  The only thing that she ever lacked was a mother's love.  

     Will had been watching Raven for the last hour as she went back and forth between staring off into space and chewing on her fingernails.  Twice, he had taken her hand from her mouth and tried to hold it; soaking up the warmth from their combined touch but each time she pulled back from him.  

     His wolf was anxious to get closer to his mate and it was taking everything that he had in him to hold back.  He couldn't push her for risk of losing her but as they loaded the plane, he worried about her emotional state. 

     Once they were finally seated, he turned to her and frowned when he realized how pale her complexion had turned.  "Are you okay, you seem to be kind of out of it."

     Raven forced a lack-luster smile on her face and met his concerned gaze.  "Yeah," She breathed out, "I'm.... fine."  

     "Really?"  Will arched his brows.  "You know that you can tell me the truth, right?  I don't bite."

     This time when she smiled it was genuine.  "I've never been on a plane before," she stated meekly, turning her gaze to her interlocked hands.  "And... " she started and then stopped, audibly gulping.