The Perfect Day (Part I: Morning)

8:00am

I nearly jumped out of bed in panic. Why didn’t I wake up earlier? I was supposed to wake her up! I was supposed to bring her breakfast.

Of all days I should oversleep, why the fuck does it have to be today?!

I ran down the stairs forgetting I was in boxers and rushed to the kitchen. Mom nearly dropped the juice pitcher seeing me barely wearing anything. She was about to scream at me in disbelief when I, out of panic, sank to my knees and pleaded.

“Mom, help me, can you make something special? Reaaaaalllyyy special.” I had to put an overtly melodramatic face so as to convince my mother to help me. Mom cocked an eyebrow at me and had this smug expression.

Mom: “For whom?”

Me: “Someone special.”

Mom: “I think my question was SPE-CI-FIC.”

Me: “I’m desperate. I beg you! She’s leaving tonight.”

Mom: “Why don’t you do it yourself then?”

Me: “So she could sue me for food poisoning?”

Mom: “Then she won’t be able to go if that’s the case.”

Me: “You’re impossible!”

Mom: “And you’re a big dickhead.”

Me: “Some mother you are!”

Mom: “And to have you bring another kid in here? Oh come on Leonard, grow up. Stop being a boy chasing women’s skirts.”

Me: “Mom, believe me or not, I’m serious about this. She’s an artist like me.”

Mom: “That was what you said several years ago: she’s a photographer like me.” Mom had this extremely annoying knack of imitating people, and I wasn’t an exemption.

I squatted wearily on the tile floor of the dining room. I felt defeated. My ass was actually starting to freeze at the coldness. I looked up to mom with my most woeful stare. Mom shrieked a bit in disgust but finally said, “ALRIGHT! Go fix yourself up. I’ll pack breakfast for you and whoever that woman is. Just stop that annoying stare.”

Me: “YOU. ARE. MY. ANGEL.” As old as I am, I showered kisses on my mom’s forehead.

11/21/13

Author's Note: It took me several weeks to decide on how to create this "perfect day" because it really had to be perfect in all senses. It had to show how raw and unadulterated love could be, how care should be genuine, and how lasting memories are created. I learned for the past months how a mere second, or maybe an hour, could leave an imprint in your memory forever as the best moment of your life.

(I'm still thinking on how to continue this... and make more... romantic. haha!)