The Second Step

As predicted, I never got to sleep.

The whole night I read and reread her essay at least five times. I also read her text for about twice as much, until I seemed to drowse off while staring at my screen.

I woke up around eight with an extremely bad headache. But I had no choice but do my responsibilities. I took my sister to school, in return for answering my take home exam. That saved me a lot, so I had to be her errands boy for the morning. At school, I tried my best to find Aries and tell her…

Tell her what?

Not that she’d be concerned of whatever I thought about her work. Or what was it for? I just wanted to talk to her.

Again, I passed by her office. A student was also looking for her.

“Where is she?” I whispered.

The dreamy eyed girl turned sharply at me and gasped. Yeah, I get that all the time.

“Sh-she’s g-gone.”

I raised an eyebrow, “What do you mean?”

It took her a while to reply, as she couldn’t stop staring at my face. Until what she said shook me to the core .

“Th-they say she resigned this morning.”

Ring.

‘Cause you see the shelter as the storm holding wind to keep you warm…’

Ring.

‘You we’re everything to me. This is why I have to leave.'

Ringing.

‘So sleep well, my angel.’

Endless ringing.

‘Oh fuck, answer the goddamn phone ARIES.’ I called her at least fifteen times. Until I gave up and slammed my hands on the steering wheel in frustration. I don’t know what took over me that I waited for the whole late afternoon outside her house. Around six, I saw her walking down the street. I ran my hand through my hair and got out of the car. She looked so tired, but when she saw me she wasn’t surprised. She gave me a small smile and waved.

“Why weren’t you answering your phone?”

She didn’t answer. I was on the verge of losing my patience. I was helpless. I didn’t know what to do with her. And I was feeling hopeless, why would I want to mess up with her life.

I can’t even fix my own life.

She invited me to come in. Her house, to my surprise, was in pure white: ceiling, walls, and floor. Everything was spotlessly clean. Sadly, it seemed to cold and empty.

“Coffee?” She asked and I agreed. Coffee would mean time to talk, and I have tons of questions for her.

I sat in the living room. She told me to open the front door and I did. I glanced around, the glass was one way, you could see everything from the inside. But outside no one could see inside the house. No wonder why people thought the house was empty, she could really hide inside forever.

“I sold the house, this house.”

She calmly said. I almost choked at the coffee I was about to drink.

Me: “Why?”

Aries: “I also resigned from work today.”

Me: “Why?”

Aries: “And I’m leaving for Singapore on Saturday.”

Me: “ARIES WHY?!”

I lost my hold. She looked up to me, smiling still. I thought she’d be answering my question as she opened her mouth. But I was wrong.