Chapter 15- I Want to be Invasive

I woke up gently, feeling my eyelids ache with exhaustion. It must have been a short time since I fell asleep. I noticed Carl's arm around my waist immediately and boosted myself up on my right elbow. He had ended up stretching out next to me rather than holding my head in his lap.

     I smiled to myself before shaking him gently and whispering, "Carl, wake up!" His eyes snapped open, but relaxed when he saw there was no threat. He pulled his hand away from my stomach and his arm back to his chest smoothly, careful not to get too far from me.

     "Good nap," Carl said through a yawn, his voice sleepy.

     "Good nap," I agreed.

     "We should probably go back up so you can get some real sleep," he said, his voice about an octave lower than usual. I nodded in agreement and stood up.

     I started to leave, assuming he'd follow, before hearing him whine,"Help me upppp!" I rolled my eyes and turned to grab his hand and tug him up. He grinned at me as he stood and took off down the hall, shouting,"I'm gonna win!"

     I immediately processed that we were competing and took off down the hall after him.

     "In your dreams!" I called, knowing there was no way I could catch up to him.

     I sprinted as fast as I could, only to find Carl waiting and holding the door open for me.

     "What took you so long?" he asked casually, acting as if he'd been waiting for ages.

     "You did not just beat me at my own game," I stated, wanting to believe it.

     "I must be dreaming, considering how you just said that I'd only win in my dreams,"he smirked back at me.

     "Maybe you are," I mused, making my way purposefully down the hall. Carl stopped me, grabbing my arm and tugging me to him.

     "I must be. How else could I find a girl like you?" he asked, eyes foggy and smoke-filled. He inched his face closer to mine.

     "Oh Carl, it's adorable how you think you have total control over me with your cheesy chick flick lines," I chirped, turning away from him and continuing towards the main room.

     "How did that not work?" he pondered with a laugh,"I thought it would work."

     "That only works in movies," I informed him,"it was a good try, though."

     "I'm 95% sure that it doesn't only work in movies and most girls would've been enchanted by those words," he argued, his face lit up with some type of mischief.

     "And I'm 95% sure you're wrong," I told him, trying not to grin. Carl just followed me in a comfortable silence back to the main room, where I quickly strode to the hallway lined with cells. I entered my cell and collapsed onto my bed, positive that I'd pass out if I waited much longer for real, deep sleep.

     My floating away into dreamland was interrupted by Beth inquiring from the doorway,"Where were y'all? Nothing's actually going on like Daryl's been saying... Has it?"

     I smiled a little, despite wanting so desperately to sleep.

     "You know, most people woulsn't be invasive. Or they'd at least be sneaky about it rather than just flat-out asking," I informed her, trying to keep my temper.

     "Well I want to be invasive," she said simply. I could hear the smile in her honey-soaked voice.

     I chuckled a little, deciding I didn't mind her presence.