Chapter 11- Guard Duty

I woke up alone, slightly shivering. I pulled the blanket which had been over my legs up, so it was around my bony shoulders. I shivered for a moment before pushing myself to a standing position, wearing my blanket as a cape, and went to the door. I tugged it open, which was no easy feat, and stared outside. A raw, nipping wind rushed toward me. A chill ran down my spine and I shut the door again, knowing that if anyone was awake they were probably inside. I dragged myself to the hallway of cells. I glanced into cells as I walked by to find that I was the only one awake. It must have been pretty early.

When I reached my cell, the clock confirmed that it was certainly 'pretty early'. It was only 4 am. The usual wake-up time in the prison was 6 am for most of the adults and 8 am for the kids.

I curled up on the bottom bunk and listened to Trinity's deep, slow breathing. I tried to sleep for a while but it wouldn't come. I tossed and turned for another twenty minutes before abandoning my hopes of sleep. I stood again, this time putting the blanket which I had dragged around with me up to block the cell door. I quickly changed into camouflage leggings and a light pink top. The top had long sleeves and a drapey bottom, so it didn't look inappropriate in any way with the leggings. Basically what I'm saying is, my butt was covered.

There used to be small spikes on the shoulders of my shirt, but I had long since ripped them off. A few had already fallen off and it looked kind of strange to only have a few spikes. Plus, Michael and my mom were always joking around that I didn't need a weapon, I could just use my shoulders.

I remembered Michael. He had met a not-so-happy fate after protecting my family from bandits or some other gang of evil people. He'd distracted them while we ran. I was so grateful for that, even if I didn't like to admit that Michael had actually helped.

I threw on a black hoodie over my top and jerked the blanket down. I put on a pair of black boots with a tiny heel and laces to keep my feet warm. We'd managed to make 'rugs' for the prison to keep our feet off of the frigid concrete, but not all of the prison had this feature.

Stiffly, I walked out to the main room, then followed a hallway to the kitchen, which was really a small room off of the cell block with tables and a gas stove which they had somehow gotten to work. I found Carol and Maggie making powdered eggs. I hated eggs, but you do what you gotta do. I smiled at them and sat at a metal table. I listened as they talked about Glenn, who Maggie was clearly completely in love with. She talked about him with a smile on her face and love in her eyes. I began to think that maybe romance was possible in this world, but shook the thought from my head.

Finally, the disgusting breakfast was ready. Everyone other than Glenn, Rick, Michonne, Sasha, and Carl gradually filed into the kitchen. Apparently Rick, Michonne, and Sasha were out on a run and Glenn was on guard duty. I wondered where Carl was, but didn't ask. I was still treading lightly over the whole Carl thing. I didn't want too many negative opinions formed about me, or Carl for that matter. Carol sat next to me, handed me a plate of steaming 'eggs' and digging in on her own. I ate a bite without complaint and asked Carol in a low tone, "What happened last night with Carl and Rick?"

She shrugged and said," Nobody knows yet but Carl's outside if you want to ask him." I took another bite of the pile of mush on my plate before nodding and setting my fork down. I wanted to wait for everyone to finish before I left. Carl came in just then, grabbing a plate and putting a big portion of eggs on it. He sat next to me, on the end. He ate in silence. He was probably aware that everyone was staring at him while they talked, but I don't know. He kept glancing at my plate.

Finally, I offered, "Do you want my eggs?" He shook his head in response and finished off his own plate. He stood up and pulled at my wrist for me to follow him but I remained sitting. When everyone was done, I offered my eggs. Hershel took them and I told him I just wasn't that hungry. Everyone began cleaning up as Hershel ate, so I took it as a cue for me to leave. I went out the doors off of the main room. I found Carl sitting off to my left. I smiled and sat down.