Back Home - Chapter 6

Chapter 6

I was instantly greeted with the smell of cinnamon as I walked in the door.  Chase grabbed my hand giving it a reassuring squeeze.  I looked up and smiled at him, the butterflies instantly gone.

“Chase, is that you!” A feminine voice called from another room.

“Yea, it’s me, mom!” he yelled back.

I heard the click of heels and a woman with black hair walked in.

“Oh, hello, Chase you didn’t tell me you were bringing guests,” his mother said looking between Chase and me.  Chase had obviously gotten his hair and eyes from her.  I smiled towards her, hoping she would like me.

“Mom, this is Zoey,” he managed to get in before his mother came rushing over to me.

“Hello, I’m Linda Campbell,” She said sticking her hand out to me.  I took her hand and shook it.

“Supper’s in the oven, would you like to join us?” She asked.

“Sure, I would love to,” I heard myself say.  When did I get so confident?

She turned on her heel and walked to the kitchen before throwing over her shoulder, “Make yourself at home, Zoey.”

I turned to Chase who was oddly quiet and rose and eyebrow.

“What?”

“Well usually my mom doesn’t take to people so quickly,” he said.

“Well that must be a good sign,” I mumbled.

“A very good sign,” He said bringing his hand to my cheek and rubbing circles with his thumb.  I put my hand over his, closing my eyes and leaning into his hand.

I walked closer to him wrapping my arms around his waist and placing my head on his chest.  I closed my eyes breathing in the scent of him, calming myself down.

I heard a click and opened my eyes, “That’s defiantly being displayed at the wedding,” His mom said.

I held back a laugh as he whined, “Mom, I thought you were making supper.”

“I was, but I walked in and just had to take a picture, it was a Kodak moment!” she exclaimed.

This time I let out a giggle, and unwrapped my arms from his waist.

He grabbed my hand and pulled me into the dining room, I am guessing.  There was a long table in the middle of the room with four plates set up at one end.

“I’ll be right back,” Chase whispered in my ear.  I nodded and he walked off to the kitchen.  Walking towards the table I sat down in one of the four chairs.

“Chase, she better not be another one of your play dolls,” his mother said in the kitchen.

“Mother, Zoey is everything to me, I wouldn’t do that to her,” He said back.

I smiled at his words, Zoey is everything to me.  Those five words made my worries flood away.

“Go get your father, supper is ready,” Linda said again.

I heard Chase walk off towards the stairs I saw when I walked in.  Linda walked in with a steaming dish, and set it down at the end by me.

“Do you need help with anything?” I asked.

“No dear, I think I have everything, but thank you for the offer,” She smiled.

I smiled back and she walked back into the kitchen.  Chase had walked through the door, followed by his father.  His father had brown hair, and looked like it had been a day or two since he shaved.