Chapter 2 - Lone Wolf Found

Forgotten 

Chapter 2 - Lone Wolf Found

(Italicized words that are alone are words that the wolf teaches him) 

.

My eyes slowly open and I crawl from under the tree, carefully raising my nose to see if I can catch any scent. When I don't, and I only smell the fresh mud of the rain last night, I continue my way out of the small opening and stretch my muscles, leaning on my paws to pop my back. A small whine leaves my lips when I yawn and I shake my fur, carefully walking the way I'd been going for days now. 

The first night out here had been completely terrifying. 

It was safe to say I'd ran for hours, hearing their thundering paws behind me. It seemed luck had been in my side because it began to water heavily and I'd lost them by turning a sharp right- something I didn't think they had expected. I didn't know much about being out here and even if this had all been new to me- the colors, the textures, the smells- I hadn't stopped running for hours. Nothing distracted me. There was water on the grounds and I'd followed the sounds of swooshing only to find a big area with deep water. 

I didn't approach it. I didn't know if I'd live or go down. 

So I stayed by the side and drank a little, feeling the cold water travel down my throat. It had been the best thing I had ever tasted and I couldn't stop drinking it. I'd bathed on the side, too, something that Richard let us do once a week. Then when my stomach practically ate itself, I found a fast animal that had smelled delicious. I'd ran after it but I couldn't catch it. I didn't have to do much because the second presence, like a voice- instinct, had helped out greatly. In the end I'd eaten the animal and I'd buried the bones. 

Now, almost four night since I'd gotten my escape, I knew how to hide from larger animals- like cats- and I knew how to get food. Sometimes when I found another lake, I'd shift back into my human form and wash myself carefully. My feet had cut with the glass but the cuts were gone now and I didn't exactly miss the weight around my neck. 

I'd seen other wolves in the distance. They smelled weird but I'd stay away because they always attacked each other, fought for food, fought for sleep. Somehow something told me that they weren't good even if I knew they were like me and not wild animals. I'd stay still until they were gone and I kept running. 

I didn't know if Richard has noticed which way I went, but if he hasn't found me then that meant that I was good for now. Besides, I'd run for so long I had to be far- I had to. That both made me happy but it also made me sad. I couldn't leave the others back there- Will, Jamie, and Mia especially. I didn't understand why they didn't come with me. Why they let me run and stayed. 

Then I was happy they had a roof over their heads. They still had the collar Richard put on us so they wouldn't have made it far. They wouldn't be able to run fast like me. I was glad they stayed because Richard would've caught them and hurt them for trying to escape. That's why I couldn't let him find me. 

I could hear animals in the trees, the voice in my head calling them birds. There was so many things I didn't understand and I'd be terrified if I didn't have that voice with me. It helped me focus and it kept me alive. I wouldn't have gotten food without it. Like now, it was telling me to keep moving- so I did. I tried not to get it angry. After all, I didn't know what it was. 

Looking around, the sun was still going up and I knew night just ended. I could see around now and I looked at all the colors that were around. Will, Jamie and Mia would love these colors. I would show them when I got help. They were all green. Different types of green. Some were very light and others were very dark, some looking almost like poop. Brown. It was strange, the names of theses colors. I saw a completely mesmerizing color, too. Yesterday I stopped by water and it caught my attention.