Chapter 7

Charlie and I sat together in the room which suddenly seemed much more friendly and open. Neither one of us spoke, but we didn't have to; I was content just being with him. We were entangled in each other's arms, simply enjoying each other's presence as we had not had a chance to do for the longest time. After all the years I had known him, I still found myself awed by how relaxed I felt around him.

Being with him was easy, it felt natural; it felt right. I could simply be myself without having to worry about being judged or misunderstood. We completely and totally understood each other on a level that other people may not have completely been able to comprehend.

"Charlie?" I asked, breaking the silence.

I was nervous. In the time that we hadn't spoken, I had done a lot of thinking. My only previous relationship had ended in disaster, which in turn ended up costing me a massive loss of self-esteem. I did not quite know how to continue. What Charlie and I had as friends was amazing. Was I willing to risk it on a relationship that could very possibly end in chaos? And what exactly did that kiss mean? Were we still just friends? Were we more than friends?

"Yes, love?" he asked, shifting me in his arms. I assumed it was so that he could get a better look at me.

"Well…what exactly would you…call us?"

I needed to know what exactly we were to one another. I couldn't afford to have this become a misconception between the two of us. I needed to get this out in the open. It had taken so much strength to even let him in my room. Maybe the suddenly favorable turn of events had made me brash, but at that moment I could not have cared any less. I was high on life and happiness.

"What d'you mean?" he asked. I had to fight back laughter. He always had been a bit thick when it came to girls and their subtlety, but I loved him all the same. I sighed. Love. Such a strong and powerful word. Love. It could give you wings, send you soaring with your head in the clouds, or it could tear your heart to itty-bitty shreds. I had found it with the man I had always thought I could never had. Before this, it had seemed silly that one little word could heal a broken heart of send you into despair, but I now realized just how significant that "little" word was.

I now understood what people meant when they said that there was a thrilling, almost giddy, sense of euphoria that came with having what was seemingly unattainable. I wasn't shallow, though. I loved Charlie. He wasn't just a conquest to me. He was so much more. He was my best friend. My savior. My guiding light. And now possibly my boyfriend. I grimaced at the thought of that. Boyfriend did not seem like quite the right word. Boyfriend implied something more experimental, a curiosity to be explored. With Charlie, things were different; they did not feel experimental, they were solid, more finite. It was more of an affirmation of something we both knew was there, but had never directly addressed or expressed to one another.

"Well, I mean, you and me… us. Is there an 'us'? I mean are we exclusive? That's what I mean. What are 'we,' the entity? Are 'we' an 'entity'? I'm just trying to figure out what exactly all of this," I gestured to us, me in his arms, "means." I whispered this. Even though I was amazed that I had even said it, I could not bring myself to speak any louder, as if I said it softly enough, the awkwardness I felt would just disappear. So much for the so-called "bravery" I had felt when beginning to speak.

"Katrina, of course there is an us," he reached up to touch my face, cupping it in his hand, kissing my lips lightly, "You know I don't date many girls, especially not snog them in bedrooms when my family could walk in at any time… You're mine, if you'd like to be, my girl, that is, but only if you want to, I don't want to pressure you into doing anything you're not alright with…" he started rambling. It was adorable. I hadn't ever seen, or rather heard, him this flustered.