Chapter 2

I woke up to an excruciating pain in my eyes. I tried to blink but realized with a start that I couldn't see. I gingerly reached up, feeling that my motion was oddly restricted, like I was attached to something, and felt my face. It was covered in coarse bandages to about my nose.

Suddenly, the events of that night came flooding back to me; I had been found out. I was attacked, tortured. And Charlie. He had saved me, I was sure of it. There was no one else who had known where I had been, nor could anyone have had the same voice as him. My pulse quickened. What if something had happened to him? How could I forgive myself if something had happened to him because of me?

I could hear a nurse come bustling into my room. "Oh, good dear, you're awake. You've had quite a rough time, I'd wager."

"M-my eyes…will…will they be okay?" I whispered, still fingering the bandages covering my face. I couldn't even respond to the nurse's statement. I was gripped with panic; my eyes...something I had taken for granted all my life. What if they were gone, I had no idea what I would do.

"I'm…sorry. We tried everything, but the curse had taken its toll. I'm sorry, but I'm afraid you won't be able to see again."

My heart plummeted. I'd never again be able to see the mountains I loved so much, never able to see my reflection, never able to see where I was going, never able to see what I was writing, never able to see what I was cooking, never able to see *his* face. I felt tears trickle down my cheeks, pooling in the rough fabric wrapped around my face, as my breath caught in my throat.

The nurse must have noticed my distress, because she tried to comfort me, "but you'll of course be able to live a semi-normal life. Lots of blind people do, you know. Your other senses will grow stronger. Don't worry."

That only made me cry harder. I would be eternally alone in this darkness. "Can you at least take off the bandages?"

"I'm sorry but I can't. There was some scarring from the spell that still needs to heal."

Great, I thought, now I would be blind and hideous. No one in their right mind would ever love me. I flopped back on the pillows, turning onto my side and curling into a ball.

"But, there was a man, rather handsome, I must say, who stayed by your side for almost a week. He said that he had to leave and go back to work, but told me to let you know that he said he would visit you later."

"Charlie," I whispered. So he was alright. Thank Merlin. I don't know what I would have done had he been hurt.

"Yes, I do believe he said his name was Charlie."

He had said he would visit me. I couldn't let that happen. I was probably hideous, even though I couldn't see myself, I knew that I had been disfigured. I didn't want Charlie to see me like this. I had to get away from here. I had to leave.

"Please, don't let him in if he comes to see me. Don't tell him where I am. I- I don't want him to see me like this. Please," I implored.