Prologue

Prologue

Things were not going as I had planned. For one, I had never pictured myself sitting in a small, cramped cage. Another, I had imagined a quick, painless death, which I should have known to be impossible for these people. My clothes were turning into tattered rags and my muscles and already little fat were wearing thin. My hair- I will not even start on that pitiful mess. The worse thing about all of this was that I had knowingly done it to myself. I knew it had been a trap; that the men would be waiting around the corner, ready to catch me as if I were an animal of great worth.

Perhaps I am, though. Perhaps I should feel special- feel important- I know he would agree.

No, I cannot act as if I could relish in the attention and no longer could I pretend that I had not seen this coming. I was behind the bars while he looked in. I should have known that this would have never worked out. Why had I said yes that fateful day? Had it been his entrancing eyes? Or perhaps his charming smile? Whatever the reason, I was pulled to him, like a magnet. Was it true love or was I just being silly? Flashbacks of those first moments were coming back to me, already hitting my vulnerable mind like daggers to the heart.

On reflection, I realize that I was stupid, I was rash, and I was naïve. There had been many signs, even warnings, of danger, yet I had taken no heed to them. Now all of our lives were at stake and I have only myself to blame for it.

Memories. That was all I had right now to hold on to.

I had heard that when you come close to death, your life flashes before your eyes. Perhaps that was what was happening to me. Death. For some strange reason, however, I am calm. I am accepting death.