Chapter 29

Dedication: Thank you for the useful constructive criticism rather than horrible biased ones, you gave me a burst of confidence and I elongated this chapter because of your advice.

Dominic returned to the balcony after his bath. He felt fresh. His aching muscles were now relaxed. He sniffed his pine scented shirt and he knew he had tipped Dermont well for his work. Dermont had shaved him and he felt his cheek with content. He loved feeling smooth. He detested hair on his face.

It made him feel younger, not like a nobleman burdened with problems, like a child who could have whatever his heart desires. Even if he couldn't be entirely happy. But who was?

He yawned lazily, and plopped the items he was carrying onto the cold tiled floor. He brought with him a blanket, a book and a bowl of soup. The blanket made of the thickest fur he could find, the book not his, and the soup steaming hot. He was with nature, he was with the sky and the wind which calmed him so much. It was Dominic's paradise.

He felt simple and that's exact what he needed. He needed to get away from the bowing, curtsying and money. He needed to get away from his lavish life style and the court. Even if he had to stay there his whole aura would be of peasant, relaxed and unchained peasant.

Including his clothing. He was now wearing a black hose and white shirt. He decided not to wear a doublet but for modesty's sake, a ruff. He crossed his legs and opened the book he had found in Jacqueline's room.

The covers underneath him warmed him and he sipped the bowl of soup he had brought with him. He began the book. A romance, it was a tale of two lovers. Dominic was quickly engrossed and he sipped his soup and read.

He wondered, as he read, if his wife adored romance and affection as much as the woman in this book. The lady cried for her love as he went off to war. Fighting for his country, he fought for England in the war that had been flowing for a good hundred years. When he returned injured, she treated him with love and indifference to his wounds. Even when he lost the use of his limbs she never wanted to let go.

Dominic snorted. Women were picky, and as fickle as he was. He remembered when Lord Wilson had cut his knee and Anna refused to see him, granted they were ten but the message was that he needed to be perfect, because that's what she wanted.

Unlike his wife. He acknowledged that. His wife was not a picky mistress, she was calm and did not demand that much of Alice, and the errand boy Dominic had hired for her. He was also Dominic's 'spy' and told Dominic of Jacqueline's day and her behaviour.

She had told the boy that she felt like staying inside today. Which gave Dominic the reassurance no one would hur her and he could have a day to himself. He wondered if she was well though. He could go downstairs and find out: but there were two problems with that. Firstly, he was suppose to be out and if her or the servants saw, he would be rumbled. Secondly, he would have to move from this comfortable arrangement, and he didn't feel like doing that.

Sighing at his life he began reading another's.

+++

Jacqueline remembered the nights before, as she sat on the window pane. It was a crisp afternoon right now, the sunset was slowly going down and soon it would be night, evening. She loved the night but she couldn't get several images out of her head.

Anna's begging and James detached face. The only emotion he showed was a single tear as her things were taken away by the horse. Anna had cried and screamed, begging for her husbands forgiveness. Telling him she had nowhere to go.

Jacqueline wanted to rip her hair out, James was clearly in love with her. He could of disgraced her in front of everyone, blackened her name. Instead he had told the king Anna was pregnant and wished to return to the estate for the birth and the growing of the child in her womb.