Epilogue

Seven months later....

"Good evening, my lord." Joseph greeted and took his master's cloak and gloves quickly. Leaving him in a royal blue doublet, and black hose. His riding boots clicked on the wooden floor and the mud stained the perfectly clean floor. "I hope your journey was fruitful."

Dominic around his home with content. He was home. He had missed home."It was,"

In his bare hands was a box. It was large containing his latest gift to his wife. Courtesy of himself. Francis' gift was being unpacked, an abundance of new gowns. France gaining a ton of wealth through riches in its colonies Francis had decided to celebrate. And for Jacqueline it meant a ton of new dresses.

Dominic had received a new saddle for Storm who was being taken to his stables, at the moment. The people of France, in England- the commoners, received foods and money. A gift from their sovereign. But Dominic had picked out this particular gift himself and he hoped his wife would like it.

Dominic's travelling party was unpacking his belongings in the background. He had just returned from court, and was eager to be home. Dominic shut the front door and motioned for the footman to lock it.

"Good evening Joseph," Dominic looked around the foyer. It was too quiet. The house was clean, as Jacqueline demanded each day it be cleaned. But apart from that the normal flurry of servants who greeted him from work were not there.

Instead the two men stood side by side in the foyer. The Russian red rug was cleaned and herbed, the scent of lavender wafted around the room. The large windows allowed the night light, the moon, to enter freely. The wooden floor was wiped and shiny with several decorative plants on top.

"Where is the Countess?"

"She has returned from Calais, my lord." Joseph began, trying to lessen the blow."She arrived safely this morn."

Dominic nodded, that was good. He had been worried if his wife would be alright going to Calais to visit her brother, by herself. The roads of France weren't the safest and he was concerned that the highway men or thieves would attempt to take his wife. She had convinced him that she would be alright, through words and other means... But he had been so rugged with passion, he wasn't sure after if it was the best idea.

"But she has collapsed, her body was weak and she was tired, the doctor has been called for, he is upstairs with the countess."

Dominic's eyes widened and he was about to run upstairs when Joseph placed a cold hand on his arm."It will do you no good to do something irrational." Dominic took a deep breath and agreed. He would wait a while. But his body itched to dart up the stairs.

"How are your family?"

"My mother and sister are well. We are grateful for the cottage, 'he' has left town." Dominic nodded and took a glass of wine that Alice, who had swiftly appeared, had offered him. If she knew of his arrival then the rest of the servants would too.

"Where are the rest of the staff?"

"In the kitchen, my lord." Alice answered. Being promoted to head of the maids by Dominic and Jacqueline she knew the location of everyone.

"Have them ready some items for the countess."

"Yes, my lord." She replied and blushing at Joesph who winked at her, full of naughty promises later, and scurried away.

Dominic sipped the warm drink, it made him relax, honey, red wine and cinnamon. A favourite of his after travel, especially for travelling for so long to get to Paris and back in two months. He had no time at court to relax and drink, he had no time to be tipsy.