Chapter 6

• Dedicated to Loretta Richards

Jacqueline’s last day was painful. After the dressing, the awkward family breakfast and the farewells she was finally saying goodbye.

"Come sister," Thomas escorted her to the carriage opening it for her. She would remember her last proper day home. It was only noon now but she had an action packed morning.

William kissed her so softly on her right cheek and blessed her. Her mother gave her a gold bound bible and her father had blessed her again. She had silently gave it back to him. The maids at the village had given her a dress. The blue dress she had on was tight showing a married woman amount of cleavage, Jacqueline had blushed when she saw how much it showed, her mother pulled it down, showing even more.

It showed the creamy milk skin Jacqueline had. It dipped to the curve between her breasts but did not show her nipple and the surrounding area. The hat she was wearing had a veil which made it easier for her to hide her skin from human gazes.

The white and dark blue of the dress looked great in the day time, showing youth and prized virginity. She just wished that her husband would approve, or at least not scorn her. She already had a bad start with him.

They got into the carriage, slamming the door Thomas hadn't talked to her throughout the journey," Thomas...."

White gloved hands twitched nervously, Thomas sat stone cold in his black shirt and blue hose with a blue doublet. The chain of a nobleman put neatly in the middle.

They had been driving for almost three hours and she was getting tired. "I am thinking be quiet," he ordered, Jacqueline was quiet.

She stroked her dress, getting bored of that advanced to fixing her perfect cap, a black cap with a couple of white dew drops on it. She used the reflection to fix herself.

Looking at the rainbow she wondered, if she would be able to study the sciences again. She had a large interest and had hid it from everyone apart from Anthony who collected new instalments of works every month when he went to town.

She held the bible close to her, the coach stumbling slightly she held onto her hat "My lady, we are here." She nodded as the door was opened for her, stepping out she gasped involuntarily.

A grand, cream coloured, stately country home was situated in front of her but as she looked around was actually on the side of a roundabout of plants and a fountain.

Thomas took her hand gently as she noticed two rows of staff were lined up, in the middle was Dominic dressed in a black suit a white shirt his dirty blond hair tousled. Jacqueline's mouth turned empty, she turned to look at her older brother his face was straight. He looked down at her, seeing the tears in her eyes he looked away and led her away to Dominic.

"Thomas, Jacqueline." Dominic bowed towards Thomas who returned it and gently kissed Jacqueline's hand.

"Husband," She curtsied, not withdrawing her hand. She recalled how he had hurt her hand their first meeting and now she was alone with him, she would have to be careful there was no one to protect her if he abused her.